Engine Zincs on Yanmar 2GM for F28?

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
charvatg

Engine Zincs on Yanmar 2GM for F28?

Post by charvatg »

According to the engine manual there should be a zinc somewhere on the back-side of the engine (opposite the belts and pulleys). As part of annual maintenance my marine survey suggests i replace it. The manual has a figure with an arrow pointing to something, but it's about as helpful as navigating the Long Island Sound with a road map.

Is there an engine zinc? If so, where? How often do you replace it?

BTW I'm in salt water.

Thank you for any inputs on this one,

Greg

Ereiss

Re: Engine Zincs on Yanmar 2GM for F28?

Post by Ereiss »

Greg, if it is a Yanmar engine which is freshwater cooled(ie. had antifreeze cooling the engine and sends the heat to cooling water through a heat exchanger) then I don't believe the engine has zincs. At least for the yanmars only the raw water cooled engines have zincs, to the best of my knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Welcome aboard.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

peaceandfreedom

Re: Engine Zincs on Yanmar 2GM for F28?

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Ed is correct, if you have a 2GMF ( fresh water cooling in engine block) you do not have the two zinc that are found in the 2GM (raw water cooled)For the 2GM)
There is one zinc on the STB side above the fuel pump and one on the back of the engine above the transmission. In the attached picture you can see the location of the zinc. The big bolt with white decal, above the transmission, is the back zinc. The one over the fuel pump should look the same. You might need a breaker bar and appropriate socket to break the bolt free.

Happy sailing
Jim D
Attachments
zinc.jpg
zinc.jpg (82.92 KiB) Viewed 3376 times