28 cat ketch with tiller steering

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
peaceandfreedom

28 cat ketch with tiller steering

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Does anybody on this forum know if any F28 cat ketch boats were delivered with a tiller. Does anybody know of any wheel to tiller conversions on a 28 ck?
Happy sailing
Jim D

CrazyRU

Re: 28 cat ketch with tiller steering

Post by CrazyRU »

I have original drawings of the boat with the tiller. It shows the tiller going over the stern and original sail plan with wishbooms, no traveler for mizzen.
I have never found any references about any production boat with a tiller.
It seems like just cutting a rectangular hole in a stern under the traveler most logical way of doing the conversion. It's something I'm contemplating, mostly in dreams :)
How's your conversion of super F28 with wings doing?
CR
s/v "NEMO" - Freedom 28 Cat Ketch centerboard

peaceandfreedom

I intend to install a traveler for the mizzen so along with your thinking, I intend to laminate a block of wood with a rectangle cut out, between the inner and outer layer of the hull, to accommodate the tiller
The conversion to dual wing masts is coming along. All components for top and bottom bearings have been fabricated. Now I have to do some fiberglass work at the base of each mast.
Happy sailing
Jim D

Peter

Post by Peter »

Jim,
I can't comment about the F28 cat ketch but I converted a UK built F35 ketch (US F33 Mk1) to tiller steering way back in 1996. The main reason for this was excessive play in the Whitlock Cobra wheel steering. I installed a Windpilot self steering device for an Atlantic crossing and connected the pendulum rudder by steering lines to the tiller. Worked perfectly. In the two weeks during the leg from Bermuda to the Acores we only touched the tiller a few hours. Maybe the loads on the tiller were not as high as usual cause the PO cut off about 4 in. from the barn door rudders trailing edge.
Kind Regards
Peter

peaceandfreedom

As far as I know the rudders on the US F28 cat ketch, and the UK F35 cat ketch are essentially the same. My boat has an Edson pedestal and quadrant. Peter, would you be able to describe how you switched your F35 CK to a tiller? Did you go over the stern, through the stern, or use the quadrant? Do you have any pictures you can share?

happy sailing
Jim D

Peter

Post by Peter »

Jim,
The boat was heavily damaged on Xmas 1996 during a winter storm when It collided with a barge that drifted into the marina of Ponta Delgada, Acores. I had to go to court to convince my insurance company that she was a total loss. Later I sold the wreck to a Portuguese from Lisbon. The remains of the broken tiller still rest in my garage. I have no pictures of the installation at hand cause this happened long before I switched to digital photography. But I will try to describe the construction and installation of the tiller from my remembrance.

I laminated the tiller from alternating layers of ash and mahogany wood to a length of about 4ft 2in (1,4m) almost touching the axle of the steering column. I only removed the wheel and the push rod of the Cobra steering and planned to remove the column later. The tiller was mainly straight with a slight bend downwards where it passes over the stern. Therefore the traveller could not be used any longer. I sheeted the mizzen to a block on each side of the tiller. A friend of mine welded a fitting from stainless steel which connected the tiller to the rudder. This fitting was fixed to the tiller with three bolts and one large bolt through the rudder post so that the tiller could be tilted out of the way upwards. The aft end of the tiller rested on the rudder post in its normal position. If I had to do it again today I would lead the tiller through the wide hole in the stern above the cockpit floor where the cockpit is drained and the push rod of the wheel steering passes. Then you can keep the mizzen traveller. But the tiller must be built with a strong S-bend of course.

Hope this helped. Feel free to ask me any more questions.
Kind regards,
Peter