Pitch and gear ratio on my 1984 Freedom 32(Hoyt)

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Audiguy

Pitch and gear ratio on my 1984 Freedom 32(Hoyt)

Post by Audiguy »

I am researching a new feathering propeller and am constantly asked for the pitch (of my stock twin blade) propeller and also the gear ratio. I have looked both up in the owners manual that I downloaded from this site and find that neither number is there

Can any of you experienced F32 owners help me?? Prop reommendations are very welcome too...
smith.richard968@gmail.com

daletournier

Re: Pitch and gear ratio on my 1984 Freedom 32(Hoyt)

Post by daletournier »

Hi, Freeform has a 3GM30F and prop is a 16.55 inch 22degree pitch (3 blade) which seems perfectly matched for engine transmission.
Cheers Dale.

Audiguy

Post by Audiguy »

Thanks Dale but one of us is non original...mine is a two blade 14" and that meets original supplied specs in the owners manual: maybe yours is an optional or upgraded one..

Any idea on the gear ratio??

Thanks for helping out
Richard

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Richard, my transmission is KMP3 gear ratio 2:61 reverse 3:16 which is not the original therefore probably no help to you.
Cheers Dale.

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

The transmission model and gear ratio can be found on a plate mounted on the unit.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

joseph.syc

Post by joseph.syc »

Timbuktu has a Martec two-blade 15 inch diameter by 14 inch pitch, ungeared folding
bronze right hand propeller. Not original.
S/V Timbuktu
Freedom 32 - Hoyt
Hull #43

Audiguy

Post by Audiguy »

So Joseph,

What do you think of it in terms of power, speed, reversing?

There are so many different feathering or folding props available, its a tough decision. At least, its a significant choice because I will be spending a significant amount of time under power,(diesel not wind)...

Regardless, it looks like it will take at least $2000 to get the right prop
Richard

joseph.syc

Post by joseph.syc »

I'm happy with the set-up on Timbuktu. I can't take credit; the PO came up with the configuration. I'm happy with speed in both forward and reverse, and she backs out of a slip just fine.

The only issue I have is after sailing for a while (I lock the drive shaft by putting the gear selector in reverse), one blade does not open all the way when I put her into forward. I know this by the loud thumping. I just go back into neutral and then back forward a little slower and it opens just fine. I'm told that I probably need some new pins...it isn't a show stopper.

I have a friend that went went a Gori prop and is extremely happy with his decision.
S/V Timbuktu
Freedom 32 - Hoyt
Hull #43

Audiguy

Post by Audiguy »

The KIWI dealer in Vancouver has recommended a 16" fully feathering, three blade prop....

and better, the price is $1500 delivered: certainly the best price of any feathering prop. There are other props that give somewhat better performance but at twice the price.

This looks like a pretty good option to me
Richard