Starting Problems

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Scott Forgey

Starting Problems

Post by Scott Forgey »

Intermittent problem starting my motor. (3 GMF)

My starter began to only work occasionally. Push the button 5 times then on the odd chance it would turn over and start.

I am not sure if it is the starter button. I cleaned the wire and attachment terminal at the starter. Made no difference.

I find that if I jump the two terminals (which I had to do once coming into port) it started with no problem. So that leaves me with the issue of the wiring or the engagement system not turning over.

HELP! Any ideas.

Wondering how to test this - or test the switch.

Scott
Girlfriend F-32 Hoyt

GeoffSchultz

Re: Starting Problems

Post by GeoffSchultz »

If you look at the wiring diagram for your panel you'll see that there's a momentarily closed terminal which connects to the starter. Simply jump this to +12 (which also comes into the switch) and you'll see if the problem is at the switch or elsewhere. If the engine starts, start by cleaning the +12 terminal to the switch and the terminal which energizes the starter. If it doesn't, then the problem lies elsewhere.

You'll also see that there are lots of connectors in Molex type blocks that allow the wiring loom to be disconnected from the panel. You might be tempted to unplug/replug after putting dielectric grease in them. Be VERY judicious about doing this. I found that I had a lot of issues regaining connectivity after doing this and it took quite some time to get everything back to normal.

On my 3JH there's an optional relay that energizes the starter solenoid. Well, on mine it wasn't there and I found that installing one made all of the difference into the world as it was clear that corrosion had set in and I couldn't generate enough current to power the relay on the starter.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

Solved same problem with a 4JHE by adding relay at the starter as described earlier. A Starter Relay for a Ford I got from NAPA has done the trick for several years.

fmolden

Post by fmolden »

Had similar issue with my 1996 3GM30. Replaced starter switch, still intermittent starting. Found my 3GM30 had a starter relay not shown in wiring diagram and the ground connection under mounting bolt was the culprit. Cleaned and tightened and no further problem.

Al Lorman

Post by Al Lorman »

On the 3GM, this problem is often caused by insufficient voltage getting to the starter. As others have noted, you add a solenoid to solve the problem. Bay Shore Marine in Annapolis put together a kit for the 3GM if you don't want to assemble it yourself.

Al Lorman
F35 Ab Initio
Annapolis

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

This is such a timely topic. I'm having the exact same problem on my 3GM30. It caused a scary moment a few weeks ago when returning to the dock and happened again the last time I went out. It turns over fine at the dock when the engine is cold so that's weird. My research on the web suggested that I upgrade the 12 gauge starter wire to 10 gauge. Anyone tried this? I hadn't heard about the relay but will look into that. I hope I haven't hijacked this post! This is good info to me, too.

Carliane
Kynntana, Freedom 38

CrazyRU

Post by CrazyRU »

On my boat the problem disappear after cleaning and tightening ground connection between battery and engine block.
CR
s/v "NEMO" - Freedom 28 Cat Ketch centerboard