Pedestal engine controls?

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
rvivian

Pedestal engine controls?

Post by rvivian »

Contemplating mounting engine controls under the compass on the Edson pedestal.

I'm having difficulty finding out which set of (old) Edson pedestal engine controls will mate with the Yanmar 2GM20F replacing the cockpit mount single lever control.

Does anyone have any information to help?

Thanks in advance.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Tricia

Re: Pedestal engine controls?

Post by Tricia »

Bob, it's my understanding that the 2gm20f only works with a single lever control. Looks like the setup in the following link is the only option from Edson. http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinestore/ ... =85_95_216

Best,
Tricia

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Hi Tricia -

Thanks for the reply but no, I have looked at many Freedom 30 sailboats and ads for same and quite a few appear to have dual lever engine controls mounted on the pedestal and a 2GM20F engine. I know that the single lever control on our boats connects to two cables that connect to the engine and I think some of the older Edson pedestal controls work.

I just don't like bending over to adjust the control coming into the dock and not being able to see what is happening; so I want to do something.

One of the F-32 boats at the Poulsbo rendezvous had an Edson pedestal mount system with one horizontal lever in front of the wheel for the clutch and a second throttle lever on the starboard side, but I don't know which engine they had. I think I would like that system if I can find one used and it will work.

Boat goes back into the water in Port Townsend next Monday with new bottom, shaft cutlass and prop if all goes well.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

I sit corrected. Best wishes on your launch and subsequent sailing.

Tricia

dwight

Post by dwight »

Here is the modular kit to put the shift/throttle on the pedestal.
http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinestore/ ... ts_id=1086
Note that this system uses 33 series cables as specified in section 13-3 of the Yanmar installation manual.
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

I have the dual engine control setup on my F30. I have no idea what part numbers are involved but Edson maintains the original F30 steering system installation drawings in their archives. Call them for a copy. Based upon these dwgs they should be able to help you with part numbers and install guidance.

The one bit that is cattywampus on my boat is the fact that the transmission handle is fwd for reverse and vice versa. I have looked at the install to see how this might be corrected but it this looks to be a major engineering effort.

After 15 years on my boat I am condemned to having my brain permanently wired with fwd being reverse and reverse being fwd. I will be downright dangerous on anything that is correctly configured.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Thanks guys.

Mike - How are the control cables routed out of the pedestal and across the quarterberth? Do they fit in and bend around in the same cover over the steering cables or do they need to be routed differently?

Thanks
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

They are routed within the pedestal down the pedestal tube into the steering cable box on the ceiling of stern cabin and from there through the amidships bulkhead into the lazarette. From the lazarette they are routed back into the stem cabin below the plywood berth base then, finally, over the fuel tank and into the engine compartment whee they are connected to the tranny and the throttle. Only issue is they do present some interference in the after part of the lazarette but they are well out of the way of the major lazarette storage area.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Hi Mike,
I had the same issue when I had a 30. It occurred to me after selling the boat that if I turned the lever on the engine the cable connects to so it points down, it might change the setting so forward is forward. Since I now own a Pedrick 35, I don't know if this will really work.

And yes, my first couple of dockings with the F35 were near disasters! 18 years of doing it backwards had ingrained the controls.

Two other points. I generally kneel to anything Dwight says but I used the Edson 870 series control. Easier having the throttle on the side.

I wanted to put a stopper on the cable in the engine so it couldn't slip. While looking at the cable, I realized that it was just like the brake/shift cable on a bicycle. I went to a local bike shop and got a stopper.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME