Shaft seal brand for rebuild pedrick f35

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
xluke1

Shaft seal brand for rebuild pedrick f35

Post by xluke1 »

Good evening,
Does anyone know the oem.manufacturer / model of the shaft seal on a 94 freedom 35, I would like to rebuild it at the next haul out. Thanks!

Navigator

Re: Shaft seal brand for rebuild pedrick f35

Post by Navigator »

Hi,

I don't know who made the original shaft seal so I can't help you there. However, last year I bought a 2000 Pedrick f35, and promptly had the original shaft seal replaced with a Lasdrop shaft seal (http://www.lasdrop.com) because I didn't like the looks of the original bellows seal. I had one of these Lasdrop seals installed on my prior boat 3 years ago to replace a standard stuffing box, and loved it because it kept my bilge very dry and is easy to service.

Be sure to get at least 1 or 2 new seals put on the shaft, so that when the original seal wears out you can simply slide a new seal down the shaft into the assembly without having to haul it out. The siphon break hose should be extended from the seal assembly up as high as you can under the sink.

Regards,
-Bob
s/v Elenora, Freedom 35 (Pedrick) #82

Salacia

Re: Shaft seal brand for rebuild pedrick f35

Post by Salacia »

Hi Luke,
My Pedrick 35 has the Norscot shaft seal on it. During the 5 years I've had it, I haven't done any service to it. It has been flawless.
I hear that the Tides Marine system is being now recommended. It is even simpler than the Norscot.
Why anyone would use flax packing these days is beyond me.

Stephen Lee
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME