*winterizing* F39PH

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
rbpfyo

*winterizing* F39PH

Post by rbpfyo »

hi all
I'm new to boats with inboards and real tankage
(on my Beneteau 235, I just take the outboard inside, and empty the sink)
but on the F39, there are several tanks, plus the engine cooling system, plus a real bilge to worry about

this is a new acquisition, the boat just came out of the water yesterday, and it's gonna freeze in NH over the next 2 days

Qs:
- can someone tell me where to find/how to drain the raw water intake system? (Yanmar 4JHE)
- ditto fresh tank, holding tank, plus anything else I need to worry about?
- is there a quick way to drain the bilge? no power and the whale pump is missing a handle

thanks for anything you can tell me!

rvivian

Re: *winterizing* F39PH

Post by rvivian »

Don't know about the engine or tankage on a F39PH, but you can use a wet/dry shop vac to suck out the bilge. Might be needed several times through the winter depending on your boat. Whatever is pumped out can be contained in the vac and properly disposed of.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

PH39

Post by PH39 »

Surely you have some battery power.

On all these systems I winterize w/pink antifreeze (i.e., not just drain):

1 - For the engine I have a raw water T fitting right after seacock for a garden hose (Perko makes these either on seacock on inline fitting right after) so I just suck up 5g of antifreeze -- w/o that you'll need to pull your intake hose and couple it to another piece of hose (though maybe it would be possible to pour into the raw water strainer).
2 - For the fresh water system, once empty and the hot water heater bypassed, I just pour 2g each into the 2 fresh water tanks and the run it all through the system until purged.
3 - I don't just drain the bilge as the bilge pumps need to be winterized too... run bilge pump(s) until no more suction, suck out anything manually into the sink drain, pour 1g into the bilge, then run bilge pump(s) again until not more suction.
S/V Liberty's Folly
1983 PH-39 Schooner

VeloFellow

Post by VeloFellow »

Good info.

I have been reading about cabin heaters.

The instruction I enjoyed was that if your asking these questions you have failed to sail far enough south.
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

I pull the knot meter transducer and put in a screen to keep the criters out. Then bilge water can't get higher than that.
I also siphon the fresh water tank into the sump pump to let it go overboard. I used to send it to the bilge and then just pump the bilge,(prior to sump pump). If you put antifreeze into the water tank, you'll have to deal with flushing it out in the spring. Pump your antifreeze into the line coming out of the tank.

As far as cabin heaters I would recommend against the Wallace Diesel bulkhead mount. When it works its fine. When it doesn't, (just when you really need it), you have to send it to Seattle to get fixed for several hundred.

I've heard the Reflux heater is the best available, and most energy efficient.

Running Free, 1980 Freedom 40
Lake Superior

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

great info, all - thanks!