help me revive this beast (Yanmar 4JHE on F39PH)

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
rbpfyo

Re: help me revive this beast (Yanmar 4JHE on F39PH)

Post by rbpfyo »

thanks tnltracy
yeah, I still do seem to have a fuel supply issue
injector unions #3+4 are wet, but #1+2 are dry
all 4 were fine before, not sure what's going on
would be great to have the bleed procedure
thanks!

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

tracked down the fuel starvation problem - 2 valves were turned the wrong way at the Racors - fuel line had nothing but air in it! bled it all, good wet fuel to all 4 injectors
now she's *almost* firing
definitely chilly here in NH, and a tired battery and old fuel don't help
but right on the verge - actually thought she was running and let off the starter but died - pretty sure she's gonna get going today
took a little video, we'll see if they let me attach it...

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

success! she's running, but rough - I think fuel-starved - gonna go get a fresh fuel filter - but we have power

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

rbpfyo wrote:success! she's running, but rough - I think fuel-starved - gonna go get a fresh fuel filter - but we have power
be sure to bleed it again after you replace the filter(s)
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

yup, done - started her up several times yesterday - sounds a lot like a cold diesel that hasn't run in a few years

looking forward to letting her run for a while next weekend, but I need to figure out how to protect the impeller
I run a hose into the seawater intake, correct? there are 2 screens on the starboard side of the keel on the boat bottom - assuming the front one is intake? and I need to track down the seacock to open - but when I can run her for a few minutes, I'm betting she'll smooth out quite a bit

meanwhile, I think I found that file for bleed procedure (also contains some useful valve info)
http://www.p385.com/SeaDream.Yanmar.Mech.Info.pdf

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Glad to hear she's running! Definatly don't want to run long without water in the engine though. One of the seacocks should lead to the raw water pump (make sure you have a good impeller, probably need to replace if you've been running dry). A jabsco strainer between them is a good investment, and easy to inspect/ clean out with the glass body and quick open top.
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

yeah, I have a strainer already, and will definitely use a hose to keep raw pump immersed
also found a new (old) impeller on board, so will throw that in there and keep the other as a spare, if it's still good

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

first start, btw: http://youtu.be/zKT8Onj-OLI

1980raven

Post by 1980raven »

When I was running my Yanmar on the hard I disconnected the suction hose from the raw water seacock and placed it in a 5 gallon bucket. I ran a garden hose in the bucket and matched the flow into the bucket with what the engine was drawing. With this setup you can run the engine as long as you like to test things out. No way to add load to the drive shaft or lubricate the cutlass bearing so I would not run it in gear for long. You could momentarly engage forward and reverse to test out.
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

thanks for the suggestion, 1980raven! will do
(where does that seacock tend to be? in the bilge?)

(btw, the 28CK is the boat I covet - ideal for Cape Cod waters - just big enough to live aboard, but you can sail up on any beach - let me know if you ever want to sell!)