help me revive this beast (Yanmar 4JHE on F39PH)

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
1980raven

Re: help me revive this beast (Yanmar 4JHE on F39PH)

Post by 1980raven »

Rolf it is located below the water line usually on the same side as the water pump. The hose runs between the intake seacock and the in on your strainer or the in on your water pump. After spending 3 years refitting Raven we are very happy with how she looks and sails. If you are going to the Narragansett Bay Freedom Get together in July I will give you a tour.
Art
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

AS someone who's burned up a cutlas bearing by running it on the hard, be very careful about how long you run it for. If you do this, be sure to wet it first & then only run for a few seconds with it in gear.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

thanks Art - I would *love* to get the the Freedom get-together - may not have my 39PH ready to sail yet - may bring the Beneteau - is that in bad taste?) - and thanks for the seacock directions - I'm sure I'll find it easily

Geoff: roger, will not run her in gear for more than a second or two - thanks!

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

Update:

Back at the boat. Figured out raw water/impeller circuit. Got good flow to the impeller (it was actually wet from winterizing w/ coolant - pretty sure I didn´t damage with couple brief starts last week).

Re-started the engine. Required significant manual priming of the fuel lift pump, but once it was primed, started easily. Ran for a couple minutes. Shut down b/c exhaust (outside) was smoking (white).

Good news: she does start and run easily, which speaks well to the health of the block and head. Marina guy confirmed that she had been running strong in 2012 when the sea trial/survey was done.

Bad news: same guy also said PO had non-mechanic rebuild the injection pump. Said it did not run well after pump was re-fitted, and they stopped working on her after that.

My guess, based on the fact that IP looks new or rebuilt, is that the non-mechanic guy actually acquired the pump from a legitimate rebuilder, but that it was not timed, at all, when reinstalled. There is significant knock on at least one cylinder. Will try to post a video.

My hope is that all it needs is a professional timing adjustment.

Meanwhile, *Anyone know any amateur tips for IP timing???* would like to do what I can myself, and also understand better what it needs/how she is off

Also:

- one weeping injector (number 1), or possibly the return line above it; something´s leaking; need to track that down

- any idea why IP lift pump needed several dozen strokes manual priming to start, after a week of sitting? is that normal? possibly related to weeping injector/return line?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Rolf in MA

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

ran her up a couple times today
still white smoke, and I am hesitant to run her for too long - don´t want to upset the marina folks
smoke did start to dissipate somewhat after several minutes, but not substantially - still thick
exhaust water comes out in spurts, like a horse peeing - is that normal?
uploading videos now

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

ran her for 10 min, per boatdiesel.com forum suggestion - not much difference, except top of thermostat housing got hot - valve cover warm, everything else cool to the touch - still white smoke, not quite as much, but unacceptably voluminous for normal motoring - exhaust water still coming out in spurts, resulting puddle has thin oily sheen - exhaust does not smell terribly of unburnt fuel, definitely not sweet like coolant, doubt blown gasket, but somewhat fuelish, like exhaust should - is it normal to have any oil/fuel in the exhaust water at all? ideally none, correct? does this indicate unburnt fuel (of course)? can you be running lean (white smoke; poor timing) and still have unburnt fuel? I am guessing yes -- any thoughts very much appreciated at this point - local yard specializes in Yanmars, has 3 qualified techs, but they ´don´t travel´ - i.e. I can´t get a pro here, so far - thanks! Rolf in NH

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

have been advised to get her in the water and put engine under load to further assess smoke situation (after addressing any possible electrical/fuel supply issues)
gonna do that

meanwhile:

- any idea how to perform a basic ´static´ IP timing adjustment? consulting both manual and local diesel mechs, but no clear answer yet
(what *does* seem clear is that the pump should have been timed when re-nstalled, and was not)

- simplest/most direct method for wiring battery/starter/alternator? have seen several different configurations, wondering if anyone has experience/suggestions - starter (new Nippon-Denso) definitely requires its own ground - case-to-block does not provide adequate negative - I will be running a short strap from lower starter mounting bolt to nearest motor mount (about 8")

- seacock for raw water pickup is a foot *aft* of the engine, starboard of keel - is there a raw water discharge at all, or does it just get ejected with exhaust? (there is another seacock at front of the keel, also to starboard - assuming that is for a different function?)

thanks all

Rolf in NH

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

The raw water gets ejected through the exhaust system. You should see a hose coming from the engine block to the mixing elbow in exhaust.

Happy sailing
Jim D.

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

yup, figured that out - just didn't know if *all* the raw water went out w/ the exhaust - I guess the impeller only picks up what it 'needs' - strainer bowl acts as a reservoir

that fore seacock must be raw water pickup for head