help me revive this beast (Yanmar 4JHE on F39PH)

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
rbpfyo

Re: help me revive this beast (Yanmar 4JHE on F39PH)

Post by rbpfyo »

I downloaded a copy last year (pretty sure it's the manual - 10 chapters)
been very valuable so far
but sometimes it's a little too deep
i.e. lots of info on how to tear down and rebuild the IP, but no simple instruction for how to time it
hoping to find someone with personal experience
thanks

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

I have set the timing as an underway repair, it can be done, but I had it done properly upon getting access to a Yanmar tech. This is one of those areas (in my opinion) that paying the expert is worth the money. He should also check and set the govener at this point. I would have him check the accuracy of the installed tack as the sender sometimes gets a little erratic as it gets older.

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

hi Geoff
I do have the 4JH service manual (all 10 chapters), and have been consulting it heavily
but sometimes procedures are too 'pro' (i.e. procure a $4000 testing machine), or too vague ('after adjusting timing, reattach injection pump')(?!?)
and sometimes inaccurate (diagram says #32 is a clip ring, when it's clearly a camshaft)
I like to hear from the 'horse's mouth', whenever possible
the manual can provide good info, and correct bad info
but it's not the same as real advice from someone who's gotten their hands dirty
thanks!
Rolf in MA

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

update, plus 2 Qs:

- engine turns over freely via wrench
- replaced starter with new Nippon-Denso unit
- V4D battery 975CCA - older, but charged up and tests good

- with fuel lines disconnected, starter cranks the engine over fine
(although I had to wire a discrete ground to starter - was not grounding adequately through the chassis)

but I was hoping to bleed fuel through the lines - I don't see any fuel coming through, despite several longs cranks

questions:
- when I disconnected the fuel lines from injectors, did that allow fuel to siphon back to tank, so now I have air? if so, how do I prime pump and bleed lines without destroying new starter? is there some way to spin IP independently (of course not) - but can I use a vacuums pump to draw it through? or a brake bleeder to push it?
- also, re: starter not getting a good ground: is that b/c not enough surface area mating, as on the original Hitachi? is it normal to have to ground aftermarket starter via wire?? definitely a different fit from the Hitachi

thanks for any thoughts, all

Rolf in MA

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

The 4JHE fuel pump is on the lower right side of the engine, the priming lever is on the back left of the pump. This is a good place to divide the fuel system for problem solving.

Is there fuel to the pump? If not then start tracing line back to the tank checking filters (probably a RACOR 500), shut-off valves, the alignment on any three-way valves and the tank pickup. Include an inspection of the return lines and valves. Once found three extra shut-off valves while tying to figure out what a prior owner had done. I have used the vacuum pump I use to change oil to draw fuel through the lines while trouble shooting this part of the system.

If you have fuel to the pump then the procedure is right out of the manual. Use the primer lever on the back of the fuel pump to fill on engine filter using the bleed screw on to to let the air out of the system. This can take a lot of pumping on that little lever. It helps a lot to fill the filter with fuel before you install. With the filter full then you can crack the nuts at the injectors to let the air out as you crank the engine. Tighten each nut as fuel starts to sputter.

If you do not get fuel to the nut at the injector then check the engine shut down levers position on the fuel injector pump if it is a manual system or the selonoid and wiring if you have the electric shut down type.

Good Luck.

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

consulting the manual, discovered the manual priming lever, on the IP lift pump - bang!
pumped that a few times, turned over the engine via starter, and saw fuel coming through lines
reconnected lines, snugged down finger-tight (still ´cracked´), turned over, saw fuel to all 4 injector unions
so we are at least adequately primed to fire
fuel is clean and clear
onward!

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

thanks jdpandlp! what a great response
unfortunately, didn't see it till now (spotty internet in this marina)
the fuel is indeed to the unions, and I will be tightening down and going through other checklist items to prepare to fire up today
(do you have your own post-winterization first-fire checklist you'd be willing to share? first time for me on a maine diesel, although I have rebuilt several diesel engines, and done my own car work for 30 yrs)
thanks again,
Rolf in MA
Last edited by rbpfyo on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

one more Q:
is there any way to shut off fuel supply at the IP in case of a runaway?
that is my chief concern about first start - a stuck rack or something causing the engine to cycle up uncontrollably
there are 2 control levers - the primary one seems to be the governor, and a smaller on on the back of the IP seems to be the shut down
I can't really move either with just finger pressure
thoughts? thanks
(my throttle control in the cockpit seems sticky - may need new cables - don't want to rely on it for first start, including emergency shut-down - of course it will have to be dealt with before getting in the water)

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

hmmm - well, I´ve cranked her a few times - she wanted to kick (I had to re-bleed the injector unions), but hasn´t yet - actually sounds pretty good trying to start (bear in mind, it´s been years)

gonna let the battery recover and the starter get cold again and re-try after breakfast

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

I'm looking for the fuel bleeding system instructions. There's 2 steps on the 3GM series, likely true for the 4J as well. Bleed both the fuel filter, and to the injector pump. Mine had air between the filter and the injector pump, and that was my problem. Will try to find and post, but hopefully this helps
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI