help me revive this beast (Yanmar 4JHE on F39PH)

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
rbpfyo

Re: help me revive this beast (Yanmar 4JHE on F39PH)

Post by rbpfyo »

just had a day to play with the boat this week - spent most of my time rebuilding the battery compartment (which had had either a small fire or a large leak of battery acid at some point in the past)

anyway, went to start her up one time before going home, and still acting fuel-starved - it took about 10 tries to get her running (to its credit, the old V4 battery didn´t seem to lose any juice at all) (guessing that may have something to do with new Nippon-Denso OSGR starter)

I did bleed the fuel to the release screw at the top of the filter - came out strong there

questions:

- would a mis-timed IP give these symptoms - i.e. it´s injecting fuel, just not at the right time?

- clearly there´s good fuel at least to the fuel filter (which is brand new) - is it possible something is restricting fuel somewhere between the filter and the injectors? If so, what could that be? there is only the brand new fuel line, IP itself, injector lines, and injectors themselves

- should the IP/throttle/governor be set to something other than idle for starting?? could that be the ´restriction´?

- could all 4 injector nozzles be clogged? If crappy fuel was run through at some time in the past, wouldn´t that have been caught by the filter? to reiterate, running well in 2012, but crappy after non-mechanic apparently ´serviced´ the IP himself

despite the above, it still does seem/feel like a fuel starvation issue, to my ear

thanks for any thoughts - Rolf in MA

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

also, I was unable to find any way to view timing marks on the flywheel (without removing the starter)
no rubber plug or window I could find on either side
can anyone point me to where this is?
thanks!

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

last point - when I started it yesterday (only let it run fir a few seconds), I did not see the water level go down in the strainer - it was full of water and I figured that would be enough to protect the impeller for a few seconds - we know the raw water system had been working properly from last week - but I also did not have a hose running into the strainer, and I did *not* have the seacock open - does the seacock have to be open for the impeller to pull water? is it possible I may have fried the impeller, even if only running very briefly? thx!

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

(Yammer 4JHE on F39PH)
any idea how/where to view the flywheel? there must be a way to align timing marks
but I am not finding a window, port, or little rubber stopper of any kind
thanks for any help!
Rolf in MA

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

good news - disconnected the throttle controls, engine started right up and ran much better

I think cable was holding it in a ´slow idle´ position, which made both starting and running difficult (fuel starved)

still smoking white, still has a rhythmic ´hitch´ or ´pulse´ to it, every rev, but I have no idea how smooth these Yanmars are supposed to run normally - that might be typical

should I be thinking head gasket with the white smoke? does not smell particularly of coolant...

now: how do I rebuild that throttle/tranny control? need to replace cables, clearly - also need to re-wire the engine panel - but getting closer to a working boat
(also raised the foresail yesterday - first time in 6 months almost no wind and didn't have to worry about her sailing off her stands)

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

throttle cable disconnected, engine starts and runs easily now (cable was restricting fuel flow) - still smoking, still hammering though - any thoughts appreciated
https://youtu.be/Hr87GbWzdkk

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

tentative diagnosis from manual:
hard knocking + white smoke = timing too late (see pics)
which makes sense - spec is 12° BTDC - if shim pack is wrong, or non-existent, (PO had injection pump removed and serviced), IP timing might be significantly retarded
Attachments
timing spec
timing spec
timing-spec.jpg (92.05 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
hard knocking + white smoke
hard knocking + white smoke
IP-knocking+white.jpg (97.09 KiB) Viewed 6168 times

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

Been following your progress on youir getting engine to run properly. I really cant help much as I am not at all familiar with this engine, but it seems to me yoiur on the right track regarding the injection pump timing . It makes sense since the smptoms do point to that and the PO had removed injection pump for service. It is very likely he/she might have installed it without the proper shim pack. I would look there too. Good luck, Rick
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

thanks Rick! (I see you're in my old stomping grounds - north fork LI - I lived in New Suffolk for many years - excellent windsurfing spot)
yeah, the shim pack does make sense, but I am having a hard time figuring out where they actually are - all my online searching so far yielding little useful data/imagery - and either the service manual does not walk through timing adjustment, or I am looking in the wrong place - although I've been through all 10 chapters pretty carefully - ah well! I'm sure it will become clear shortly - onward!

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

alright, things slowly becoming clearer
(one of the issues is that on Yanmar engines where the shim pack is directly under the distribution nozzles, adding shims *retards* the timing
but on Yammers where the shim pack is side-mounted, around the cam, adding shims *advances* the timing
reading contradictory cues in searches was setting me back)

anyway, I seem to have figured out where the shims are (circular shims in line with the cam before the gear case where the pump bolts to the block)
and I *think* I am clear that adding shims *advances* the timing on my engine (YPES-CL type pump)
pics:
IP-shim-loc.jpg
IP-shim-loc.jpg (187.13 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
IP-timing#1.jpg
IP-timing#1.jpg (203.62 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
IP-timing#2.jpg
IP-timing#2.jpg (198.7 KiB) Viewed 6129 times