Dripless seal on f35 -- looking for a photo

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
xluke1

Dripless seal on f35 -- looking for a photo

Post by xluke1 »

Hello,
I am probably looking for a needle in a haystack but I have a leak while running on my PSS dripless shaft seal on my Pedrick F35. On inspection, the retaining collar/seal (the one w/ set screws) is quite far forward. I'm wondering if it has slipped forward allowing tension to come off the bellows, as opposed to some other problem. I was going to try to adjust it aft per PSS's instructions, but wanted to get an idea as to how far aft it should be. Does anyone have a photo of the PSS they coudl send me so I can estimate how far from the shaft to transmission coupler should be from the collar/seal. Right now it is probably less than an inch which makes me wonder if the bellows are under-compressed.

Or, I'm open to other suggestions that may explain why it started leaking at many RPM ranges.

Thanks!!

fmolden

Re: Dripless seal on f35 -- looking for a photo

Post by fmolden »

Had same problem with my F35. The front seal had moved forward releasing tension on the carbon/graphite bearing. I just loosened the set screws and compressed the bellows about 1 inch and retightened set screws. Don't forget there are two set screws, one on top of the other.