Steering system maintenance

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
GeoffSchultz

Steering system maintenance

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I just found these videos on steering system maintenance by Ocean Navigator and they're quite good

Part 1 - Pedestal Maintenance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270dLsfbR3M
Part 2 - Chain & Cable Steering maintenance - https://youtu.be/rRsd6uhFWJM

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Jamiewornson

Re: Steering system maintenance

Post by Jamiewornson »

this is my first time posting so ,,,be gentle. I recently acquired a Freedom 30, 1988. and I find that the steering has a great deal of resistance compared to the other 30's that I've compared mine to. I have done all the lubricating and maintenance from the quadrant on up through the edson wheel mechanism. I have noticed on the rudder post itself there is a "sleeve" just above the exit that moves around the shaft at random. Is this some sort of bearing that needs maintenance or am I going down the wrong track altogether. When I turn the wheel it may turn with the shaft or remain in place.
Thanks, if I have posted this all wrong.....please let me know. jamie

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Welcome to this forum Jaimie. You did a fine job posting Jamie. Is it possible there is something wrong with the pedastal brake?
Happy sailing
Jim D.

Jamiewornson

Post by Jamiewornson »

thanks Jim, I failed to mention that I did check the brake on the pedestal and it seems to be working properly.

bad

Post by bad »

Have you tried disconnecting the cable/chain and turning everything independently? The sleve on the rudder post may just be a spacer?!

We just rebuilt our steering system on our f40 cc and were able to source all parts except the sprocket at McMaster Carr. This included the chain, pins and bushings for the pulleys, and break pad material. We also switched the cable to dyneema after polishing all the pulleys. This got rid of the saddle clamps the cable had, and allowed for 6" more travel in each direction. It really has bettered our turning radius when docking. We'see how long the rope lasts.

Erik

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

No one seems to talk about the loose "sleeve: you mention on the rudder post. Can you take a picture and put it up here?

Maybe the rudder shaft is not being properly supported and is binding and the problem is not really with the steering equipment.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

There is a standard zirk grease fitting on the rudder tube on our f32. I suppose on the f30 as well? You probably have found but didn't mention it. Rather inaccessible so might have been neglected.
Dale
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

Jamiewornson

Post by Jamiewornson »

thanks to all. the boat is still in winter storage . I will be pulling it out in a couple weeks weather permitting. You all have given me some important info to follow up on and I appreciate it. will get back to you in time thanks