Intake Issue

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Freedom145

Intake Issue

Post by Freedom145 »

Freedom 38
I replaced my 27 hp Yanmar with a 40 hp several years ago without any performance issues. I have recently developed a problem with seagrass blocking the exterior stained screen due an apparent increase in pressure especially when stationary while charging batteries. This past spring I carefully made certain to clean the screen holes since they may have been clogged due to years of bottom paint buildup. The screen appears to be part of the though hull and is slightly offset. Would it be save to just cut the screen out and deal with a sea grass cleaning though the interior strainer basket. Any similar experiences?

Ron Moreau
Brassring

jdpandlp

Re: Intake Issue

Post by jdpandlp »

My problem was sucking jelly fish into the strainer for the AC unit. I placed a wedge shaped strainer over the inlet. The larger surface area of the screen solved the problem by, I think, having an area large enough that the jelly fish did not cover the entire opening and create the vacuum needed to suck them inside.

The same could work for the engine intake. I would suggest that any solution considered include a screen on the outside of the intake. Cleaning the inside strainer may not seem like much of a problem until you have done it 2 or 3 times a night. Even that would seem small when confronted with getting at the grass caught up in the hose between the thru hull the strainer that breaks loos and restricts water flow while you are underway.

wcwcwc

Re: Intake Issue

Post by wcwcwc »

My F36 came to me with no external screen, just a flush with the hull hole for water to enter. There was a bronze, groco, strainer in the engine compartment. By the end of season on buzzards bay there was some grass in the strainer but never enough to cause overheating.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.