Puzzling features of the F38 engine

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Belanich

Re: Puzzling features of the F38 engine

Post by Belanich »

Thanks for the info Dale,
It seems like I have only two options if I use the Tides lip seal, remove the torque limiter and replace it with a standard flange or move the engine forward.

On paper I should be able to remove the torque limiter and replace it with a standard flange. This is not a standard option for the 3jh3e with the Kanzaki KMP3 drive but diagrams suggest that parts of a different model drive can be swapped out to allow mounting of the standard flange.

If I have the room moving the engine forward a couple of inches might work. I planned on changing the engine mounts anyway so there is no additional expense I hope. Since I mentioned engine mounts I have to rant for a second! Why are yanmar mounts so expensive? Over $150 PER mount. Over $600 for the set!!! Why? They are just a bit of steel and rubber! I know the answer to these questions (they are expensive because people like me will buy them anyway) - it just felt good to rant.

Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto (F38 #65)