Feathering prop on an F36/38

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
MightyO

Feathering prop on an F36/38

Post by MightyO »

Has anybody out there put a feathering prop on an F36/38? What type did you install? Did you see any performance gains under sail or power? Any concerns?
Because these are a bit of an investment, any feedback is appreciated!

-Owen
F36

sailmon

Re: Feathering prop on an F36/38

Post by sailmon »

Our F38 came with a 3 blade Max Prop. Because we never had a fixed prop, we don't have a basis of comparison for sailing - but would have to imagine it makes a difference. Boat performance is excellent under power going forward and in reverse... especially good in reverse when needing to put the brakes on!
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

bbarnewolt

Post by bbarnewolt »

My F36/38 came with a two blade MaxProp. I have never known anything else and it works well.
Brien
1988 F36/38
Mattapoisett, MA

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

I have a two blade fixed prop right now. I have learned to work with serious prop walk and have put up with the hum of the prop because it spins under sail. I am hauling out in late March and will install a three-blade Max-Prop. After the sticker shock wears off a bit and I have had some time to play with it, I'll report back on the differences (but please remind me with a post here, if I should forget). I had been strongly considering the FeatherStream prop, which I think is a very good and near equivalent prop with some interesting differences. It is also less expensive, but in the end, I chose the Max-Prop because it is more widely used where I sail and I could get first-hand experience about it. The Max-Props are robust devices and seem to be fairly easily repaired, too.
Last edited by gamayun on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

MightyO

Post by MightyO »

Thanks for the replies! I'm considering going from the original two blade to a three blade Max-prop or the Autostream. Right now, 6.5 knots at 2700 on the original Yanmar. I haven't seen many reviews of the Autostream, but I've heard many positive reviews of the Max-prop. An increase in forward under power is most important to me. Not so much speed, but to get the revs down a bit. And yeah, that sticker shock thing. These things are pricey!

Thanks,
-O

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I have an Autostream and am very happy with it.

I especially like being able to have a diver independently adjust the pitch in forward and reverse without having to haul the boat.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

philipl

Post by philipl »

I installed a Kiwi folding prop on our F38. It cost $1500 and I am very happy with it. I replaced a 2 bladed fixed prop. Great improvement all around. Forward, reverse and sailing. The prop looks 'light' but I pulled a lobsterpot line across it while sailing and it sounded like I ran aground. I was expecting to see one of the blades missing but there wasn't a scratch. I painted it with antifoulant last season and that kept it very clean and feathering all season. I love the design.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

I have used the Flex-O-Fold geared folding prop on two boats- a Ranger 33 and a Freedom 36. Check Practical Sailor- this is WAY more efficient- also much less expensive than a flat bladed Max. Any folder loses a little bit in reverse but I still had excellent backing by just increasing revs a little. Flex also offers very easy yearly maintenance.

MightyO

Post by MightyO »

CaptLen, how close does that Flex-o-fold come to the rudder? Do you have the two blade or three blade on your F36? What pitch do you have and did you see a performance improvement under power?

Thanks everybody for all the info!
-Mo

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

On the Ranger there was a huge gain in speed because the boat was originally designed witht the Atomic 4 with a dinky 12" prop, and I installed a 2 cyl Yanmar which wanted a 15"prop. The Flex has a long body so as the shaft went down and the hull went up I gained and it made all the dofference.
On the Freedom not so much, as you have the correct prop to start with that can htilize the power the motor puts out; therefore I went with the same Dia and Pitch as stock. There is plently of room between the tips of the blades and the rudder when folded. The boat does well under power and if you research Practical Sailor's tests it is very efficient. I let the insurance company take the F36 after a lightning strike and hodpefully will close on a 38 with a 3 blade Max very shortly (sea trials within a week?) so I'll have some comparison soon.