Replacing the shift cable on F38

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
philipl

Replacing the shift cable on F38

Post by philipl »

The shift cable snapped on me just as I was pulling up to a mooring. I drifted on...lucky for me. I took the Edison binnacle apart and noticed that the cable broke just below the connector to the shift lever. Luckily there was sufficient thread left on the cable for me to re-thread the cable back into the connector. I made some minor adjustments at the gearbox end to allow for the slightly shorter cable.This will probably be sufficient for the balance of this season. However I would like to replace this cable. Any particular tricks to this job eg how to feed the cable up through the pedestal. Someone suggested putting a female fitting between the old and new cable and pull them through together. Do you pull the cable up through the [pedestal or down through the pedestal? Is the length standard for this boat?
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

philipl

Re: Replacing the shift cable on F38

Post by philipl »

Reposting this question on the gear shift cable replacement
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

bad

Re: Replacing the shift cable on F38

Post by bad »

Have you spoken to Edson? They were very helpful when I needed info on my chain/cable steering.

I put together a new engine throttle/shifter control setup for our F40 CC. The cable types were standardized and for your system you seem to also use Series 33 cables. There possibly is a guide or clamp inside the pedestal to keep the engine control cables away from the steering. Edson seems to have cable lengths in two foot increments. Defender, Iboats, West Marine carries the cables in one foot increments. Too long is only slightly less of a bother than too short.

Erik