R&R engine controls F39PH

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
rbpfyo

Re: R&R engine controls F39PH

Post by rbpfyo »

well, I finally prised the hub off

unfortunately, it was so frozen with galvanic corrosion that the shaft sheared off, and about 3/4" of the threaded center insert (is that paro of the 'neutral' cable?

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

I removed the 3 Phillips head screws - mounting plate now free

was able to remove the circlip

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

tapped the shaft backward, but it won't go any further than this

stuck again, and I had to leave the boat

any thoughts? this thing is so coroded on the weather side that I am again looking at replacement options

(but have to get it off first)

(btw, those pry marks are not from me - someone else was working at this years ago - note corrosion on marks)

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

When my shifter was wobbly, I finally figured out that I had to tighten that inner flange with the flattened cutouts around the edge. I wonder if you loosened that (good luck), if the assembly would then be freed? I used a big screwdriver against the flat surfaces and whacked it with a hammer. I suspect in your case that more pb blaster is in order...

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

If you need to replace your bulkhead mounted single lever control then most would buy and install a Morse single lever control. (New cables would be advisable too).

This July I had the engine controls on my F-30 changed from the original single lever / bulkhead mounted control to pedestal mounted engine controls from Edson. It resulted in an order of magnitude improvement in my ability to maneuver the boat in close quarters while motoring. I really can't recommend that change strongly enough.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

rvivian: exactly what I've been thinking
any pics of your setup?

Tricia: don't think I can fit any more PB Blaster in there
(thanks for the flange-tightening tips)

if I were going to replace engine controls in their existing location, I like the Kobelt designs, and maybe Vetus (although the Morse MJB twin-lever is pretty sweet)
for now, I'm just trying to figure out if I can make the existing contol work well enough to get the boat down from NH to Boston (on the water)
I need one trip's worth of functionality - thoughts?

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

This thread got me looking at my controls again, mostly how to make the center knob work easier and smooth out the general operation. Having tried most penetrants and lubricants over the years the main failing is that the movement of the center knob is much less than the length of the shaft making it difficult (impossible) to lubricate the entire friction surface.

Used a liquid graphite product marketed for lubricating and freeing frozen locks that I had for use on dock box padlocks and such. It helped a lot. It seems to be lasting. Time will tell but for now it is working.