R&R engine controls F39PH

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
rbpfyo

R&R engine controls F39PH

Post by rbpfyo »

my single-knob engine control and/or cables are old/cranky
need to remove, and rehab or replace
but having a hard time getting the control off the boat
I have removed the recessed hex set screw opposite the red knob
but the control lever will not budge off its shaft
don't want to break anything - is prying with a screwdriver/bar OK?
I can see from the backside that there are 3 screws securing the control to the hull, but those are not accessible until the control knob is removed
any thoughts very much appreciated
Rolf in MA

rbpfyo

Re: R&R engine controls F39PH

Post by rbpfyo »

video from the back, initial thoughts:
https://youtu.be/SKCVt48duuI

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

I have the same unit on my 39 Express. Mine does not have the movement at the base that you show in your vid.

Clanky is a good description of what it feels like to move the handle from forward to reverse, mine has had that feel for the 20 years I have had White Wings. I have never gotten the outside hub off, tried a few times but the force being applied felt more like something would break before it came apart. I my case the center pin that engages/disengages the transmission shifting cables from the throttle cable has been the main sticking point in that it was hard to pull out and push in. Application of WD40 to clean things up and the light grease on the shaft and on the mechanism behind the bulkhead does help. Although it is not smooth, it has never failed to shift.

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

thanks for the response, jdpandlp
rats
my control is clearly not functional
it only moves between Rev and Neutral
and if the black knob is the throttle, that doesn't pull out at all
I have to get this thing off to service it
she'll get new cables, of course
but, as you said, yours doesn't have the slop, and it can shift
grrr
if I had an engine gnome, I'd just call down commands, and bypass the cables/controls entirely

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

Sorry, assumed you know the operation.

The center black knob pulls out to disengage the transmission cables so the red handle can be used to activate the throttle without putting the boat in gear, like starting or increasing RPM for charging batteries. it does not act as the throttle.

With the black know pushed in moving the red know right or left a couple of inches engages the transmission in forward or reverse. On mine to the left as you face the knob in forward. Continue to push the red knob activates the throttle, the farther you push the higher the RPM.

The stop cable is not associated with this control.

Pete

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

I've had my identical control off. As I recall the black knob just screws off and you fully loosen the set screw 180 degrees from the shift lever. You can now pry the lever and hub off. It is some sort of star shape so it has to come straight off by continually prying all around the hub so it doesn't get crooked. It's going to have a lot of corrosion so that may be difficult.

Once the hub is off you'll see the mounting for the mechanism and it can easily be removed. There will be a mounting flange remaining in the fiberglass, screwed on with the screws you see from behind. Your wiggle is from that mounting flange wearing out. There is a notch in that mounting flange the shifter control sits in to hold it steady. That notch has worn/broken out. I turned my mounting flange 180 degrees around and figure I'm good for another 30 years. I think I remember the second notch already being there but I may have cut a new one on my own, I really don't remember. Drill new holes to mount the flange, lube and reinstall everything and you should be good.

Rick
Tallahassee

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

thanks Rick and Pete
I already had the black knob off (disengage tranny - thx), and the set screw unscrewed entirely (recessed, opposite the red lever)
the hub does not budge, despite prying from multiple directions
pretty sure if I could get the hub off, everything else would becom obvious
but the corrosion is epic, and the hub seems essentially welded to the shaft
any tips for how to dissolve that corrosion? hitting it with PB Blaster for days has done nothing
I have also tried tapping the center shaft backward with a drift pin (3/8" socket extension) while prying outward on the hub - nothing
thanks for any further thoughts
Rolf

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

Try to pry just on the outer rim of the chrome hub to remove it. There may be another flat part under there that is part of the mounted shifter mechanism part. (That's from memory, I might be wrong about that.)

Rick
Tallahassee

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

thanks, yes, of course I am prying all around the outer rim to loosen - just won't budge
when I head back up to the boat nexk weekend, I will drive wooden wedges in all around the perimeter at the same time, and then tap the center hub with the drift pin
if that doesn't work, I guess I will have to service in place, somehow
or just bypass it completely and put in new controls elsewhere

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

if I had to replace controls, any thoughts on what would be a compatible (set of) lever(s)?