Zinc wear

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Belanich

Zinc wear

Post by Belanich »

When I pulled the boat out last month I was surprised that both the shaft zinc and the maxprop zinc were completely gone. This never happened in any of my other boats. I keep the boat on a mooring (same place for the past 20 years). Has anyone else with an F36/38 had this problem?
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto, F38 #65

Ereiss

Re: Zinc wear

Post by Ereiss »

Michael;

This was actually the norm for me until this year. In fact I would replace both the two shaft zincs and the maxprop zinc in august because they were almost gone. This year, for some as yet unknown reason, I saw little wear on the zincs at all. Not certain this change is for the good. I need to go check the bonding to the engine. To combat the wear in previous years I dropped a sacrificial zinc off the side and connected it to the pushpit. This may have minimized the wear.

but, who knows.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

wcwcwc

Re: Zinc wear

Post by wcwcwc »

Michael:

Since your Zincs were gone you probably have no idea how long you were unprotected. I would suggest a carful inspection of all underwater metals.

As for the cause, did you install anything last spring that is connected to your electric system or engine? I've heard of problems in nearby boats or bottom (of the mooring area) causing problems, anything new or different around your mooring?

If you find nothing you'll probably want to inspect them several times over next season.

Good luck.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.