Rebuild or Re-power Yanmar 2GM20F

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Teka

Rebuild or Re-power Yanmar 2GM20F

Post by Teka »

Greetings all: I did a quick search, but did not find this topic thread..the piston liner on my engine was damaged last August and the mechanic ultimately deterimined that the liner could not be replaced. I am trying to find a place to rebuild the engine but am not having much success - seems most mechanics/dealers are oriented to larger marine diesel engines. I would appreciate any recommendations in the Northwest; or alternatively, advice on alternative engine types that have a similar foot print. I am located in Southeast Alaska. Thank you!

mdedionisio

Re: Rebuild or Re-power Yanmar 2GM20F

Post by mdedionisio »

Hi! The 2GM20F in my F30 is Re-Manufactured, which I understand to be considerably better than rebuilt. It came from Schooner Bay http://www.schoonerbaymarinallc.com/ You buy their remanufactured engine and send yours back as a core. I've only got a little over 100 hours on it, but it runs great.

Mark

Northern Light

Re: Rebuild or Re-power Yanmar 2GM20F

Post by Northern Light »

Teca,
Did you locate a replacement engine or find someone to have your engine rebuilt?

I also needed an engine rebuild on my 2GM20F. Fortunately the marina in Manitowoc, WI where I keep the boat was able to assist. A local machine shop who specializes in this type of work was able to bore the cylinders and press in new liners, which then maintained all original piston and ring sizes.

Regards!
Allen D.