shaft seal--Freedom 35 (Pedrick)

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
bobr

shaft seal--Freedom 35 (Pedrick)

Post by bobr »

I have the Syntron (edit:correction, it is the Norscott) shaft seal. Age unknown. It uses ATF. When I bought the boat 2 years ago the ATF reservoir was low. I have been going through about a pint every 50 to 60 hours underway. I don't lose any ATF when the boat is just sitting. It does not leak any water into the boat.

I have heard that one of the advantages of a lip type seal is it won't fail "all at once" and sink the boat, but I must admit to being a little nervous about how much fluid it uses.

Things are real tight in the area where the seal attaches, what have you folks used as a replacement? I'm pretty happy with the Norscott, just wish it were a bit less thirsty. My reading on the forum indicates I might need a whole new shaft to switch seal types due to scoring from the Norscott.

Thanks,
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

rvivian

Re: shaft seal--Freedom 35 (Pedrick)

Post by rvivian »

Check with Paul Dennis and investigate one of his custom Tides Marine shaft seals.

Where do you think all that ATF from the failed Norscott is going?
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Northern Light

Re: shaft seal--Freedom 35 (Pedrick)

Post by Northern Light »

rvivian wrote:Check with Paul Dennis and investigate one of his custom Tides Marine shaft seals.

Where do you think all that ATF from the failed Norscott is going?
Hello,
I also own a Freedom 30. Last year I installed a new Syntron seal, cutlass bearing, and shaft. It is incredible how little length is allowed for the seal between the stern tube and transmission coupling. Do you know if Tides Marine has a seal that is short enough to fit in Freedom 30? Also, what can you tell me about the Norscott seal?

Regards!

Allen D.