Varifold- propeller to F35 cat ketch

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Shae77

Varifold- propeller to F35 cat ketch

Post by Shae77 »

HI,

I have recently changed my old MD11 Volvo Penta to a new 6kW Bellmarine electric engine. The first sea trials have gone well but we have come to the conclusion that the propeller should be changed to get better performance. We are looking at a 13" x 9" with 3 blads fast, but I am also considering a varifold propeller. My question is there any one who has experience with a folding propeller on a F35? Is there room for it as the rudder is rather close?

Looking for some experiences on this matter and feed back.

Shae
UK F35- Cat Ketch
S/Y India
Limhman Sweden

AlanK

Re: Varifold- propeller to F35 cat ketch

Post by AlanK »

I had an F-33 and put a variprop feathering prop on and it fit. Bought it because it would fit in tight space. Was very happy with it. Don't see how the varifold would fit assuming your aperture is the same as I had on the US 33 cat ketch.

Shae77

Post by Shae77 »

hi,

what size variprop did you have?

I believe the aperture is the same as the F33
UK F35- Cat Ketch
S/Y India
Limhman Sweden

Goose13

Post by Goose13 »

Hi Shae,

Welcome to the Electric club, I hope u r in for a shocking experience :lol: I've had my eclectic motor for 2 years now, it is a 10KW attached to a Freedom 33CK CB. I've been sailing around the San Francisco Bay with it and I love it. When I get over 4-5kts my prop turns and regenerates my battery that runs my engine so I don't have a folding prop. I'm not sure if your electric motor can regenerate but if it can I would stick with a standard prop. Hope that helps, what kind of battery system do u have running your engine?? I'm running a 48v 100amp/h lithium and I can get about 15-20nm at about 3.5-4kts depending on currents and wind direction. They r estimating that in 5-10 years battery storage will increase 5-10 times for the same cost and size.

Good luck,
Doug
Doug and Marie
Millennnium Falcon F33 CK cb #4
1980 wish bone booms Electric Drive

Shae77

Post by Shae77 »

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply. I have a Bellmarine 6kW system which I have the ability to regenerate my batteries (but have not made this reprogramming yet). It is a 48V system with 2 banks of AGM batteries @ 300aH. As the propeller was original I have not been able to fully test it and find my range or capacity. But the initial tests feel good and I love the quiet and clean running engine!. Lithium batteries are definitely something I will invest in the coming future!!

After speaking to several suppliers and different calculations it seems that a 13" x 9" standard propeller is the way forward.

Looking to haul up my boat next month to make the propeller change and do some testing in the winter months.

Shae
UK F35- Cat Ketch
S/Y India
Limhman Sweden