Replacement Windlass for 4040

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
GeoffSchultz

Replacement Windlass for 4040

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I'm anchored about 30 miles offshore in Belize and my windlass has died. It's had 21 years of hard service, so it owes us nothing. The worm gear has stripped out and Muir no longer makes the Altantic VR1000R012E, or it's at least 12 weeks for them to make something up. That won't work.

So, has anyone replaced their windlass and what have you replaced it with? The only one that I can find that appears to be compatible is the Rider R3. I've look at all kinds of other ones and they all expect the gypsy to be mounted horizontally with the chain being pulled from the right and then dropping into a hole on the left. On my 40/40, the gypsy is mounted vertically and the chain goes over the top and is stripped off at the bottom and then you have to manually push it into the chain locker. If there's one thing that I hate about the 40/40, it's the anchor chain handling system.

Alternately, if you've modified the setup of your anchor locker, please let me know that too & include photos.

Note that I'm on an incredibly slow internet connection, so if you reply, please email me at geoff AT geoffschultz.org to le tme know that I need to look.

Anyhow, here are some photos of my setup (with the gypsy/capstain stripped off), to make things clearer:
20180329-060546.jpg
20180329-060546.jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
20180329-060546.jpg
20180329-060546.jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
Attachments
20180329-060554.jpg
20180329-060554.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

dwight

Re: Replacement Windlass for 4040

Post by dwight »

Geoff

I am the systems engineer on staff at Imtra Corp, the distributor for Muir in the US. In addition to training at the Muir factory, I am a former Freedom owner and former engineer at Freedom Yachts, thus have a better than average understanding of what you are facing. I am available to answer questions, or provide guidance and advice for repairing or replacing your windlass. In this case it sounds like your best choice would be to replace the gearbox. We have gearboxes in stock, ready for shipment. As two gearboxes were used for this model, I would need to know the diameter of the motor shaft to provide the correct part.

Note that after several years of use, the main shaft will often be corroded in place in the gearbox. Hopefully you are able to remove the gearbox from underdeck with the shaft in place. Most likely, you will require a hydraulic press (local machine shop) to remove the shaft from the gearbox. Typically a block of wood and hammer are not sufficient.

My direct email is Dwight@Imtra.com. Please let me know how I can be of assistance.

Cheers
Dwight
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I really want to thank Dwight for all of his help. I was able to order a replacement gear box, which is being picked up at Imtra today by a courier and will be on a flight to Belize tomorrow. All is good!!!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

lewharve

Post by lewharve »

I installed a lafrans cayman windlass on my freedom 45 . I had to have it reconfigured but it is in and it works