Is this normal

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Kommy000

Is this normal

Post by Kommy000 »

Again, new to Freedom boats, when I took my Freedom 32 out for a first time I ended up running engine going out for about 45 minutes and after sailing for about an hour in no winds, motored back for about 45 minutes too. Positive thing: my water heater was hot and my refrigeration unit was cold and kept my beer cold pretty well. One thing, this is my first time dealing with engine not being tucked into under steps but being in the middle of the boat under sink and seating area. So when I touched the sink itself and sink area it felt pretty warm. I'm assuming it is from the engine running.
So, is that pretty normal? I just want to make sure my engine is not over heating. So far it run perfectly, I see the overflow bottle on the sink cabinet wall is full, water coming out of exhaust, RPMs all normal, engine running smooth. Again, never dealt before with engine being right there inside the boat, so don't know if it is a normal thing to get your galley cabinets and sink get all warm from being that close to the engine?

Camino

Re: Is this normal

Post by Camino »

Please check
1. Engine temp gauge on engine panel in cockpit. When properly warmed up engine should read about 180 degrees
2. Engine compartment insulation
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

Yes, definitely check those! I just replaced thermostat, water pump and cap on heat exchanger and it brought temp down a bit to 180.

I find when running the yanmar the hot water system gets REALLY hot...great for showers but we have to be careful. My sink doesn't get very hot and the cabin is ok unless I take the cover off.

Our boat is South Florida, so everything is a bit warm all the time.
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81

andygc

Post by andygc »

sforgey2 wrote:I find when running the yanmar the hot water system gets REALLY hot...great for showers but we have to be careful.
Is your calorifier not fitted with a mixing bypass? It fits between the water inlet and outlet and has an adjustment knob so that cold water is mixed with the hot. That way you can make sure you don't scald yourself. The flexible pipe shown in this image:

Sold for health reasons :(

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Kommy000,

I find on mine even though the engine is running at about 180, my sink will get quite warm also. Somewhere along the boat's life someone removed the heat shield from underneith the sink and therfore the engine heat has direct access to the sink. While the engine is good with 180 degrees, that temprature is very hot to us so in this scenario the sink feels hot. Check to see if your heat shield below the sink is still in place properly. If it is then I suspect the heat from the engine compartment is still getting to the sink somehow, if the shield is not then I beleive you found the reason.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

sforgey2

Post by sforgey2 »

andygc wrote:
sforgey2 wrote:I find when running the yanmar the hot water system gets REALLY hot...great for showers but we have to be careful.
Is your calorifier not fitted with a mixing bypass? It fits between the water inlet and outlet and has an adjustment knob so that cold water is mixed with the hot. That way you can make sure you don't scald yourself. The flexible pipe shown in this image:

Wow...that is news to me. I will check ASAP to see if I have same set up. That will solve a few things!
Scott Forgey
Girlfriend
Freedom 32 Hoyt #81