Re-Packing the Rudder

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Robert

Re-Packing the Rudder

Post by Robert »

One of the first maintenance items I attended to on my Hoyt F32 was the rudder packing. Under power as the stern squats slightly there was a river of water running from the packing gland on the rudder, well not actually a river, but it was a considerable amount and as my first significant trip with this new to me boat was to be confined mostly to the ICW under power, this had to be addressed.

Fortunately the F32 has an Aft Cabin with a rear bulkhead that can be remove and access to the rudder is superb. The rudder shaft is fiberglass and is huge compared to many boats and the packing gland is even larger!! This is probably the rudder construction method with all Freedoms....
Aft Cabin Access to Rudder
Aft Cabin Access to Rudder
Bulkhead Removed (Small).JPG (44.26 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
Rudder Packing Gland
Rudder Packing Gland
Rudder Packing Gland (Small).JPG (47.71 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
The unbolting of the gland was straight forward and the removal of the old packing very easy, there was none!! what was left was essentially a few rotting pieces of flax and a 5/8" gap for the water to flow through.
Packing Gland - Close Up
Packing Gland - Close Up
Packing Gland Closeup (Small).JPG (57.02 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
I had purchased 2 packs of 5/8" graflex packing to repack the gland, each pack contains 2 feet. Each wrap took all but an inch of the 2 foot length, each end being scarfed to allow the joint to overlap. Initially I just used 2 wraps and will add a third next time I access the area. After putting the packing in place it was just a matter of reassembling the gland and gradually tightening the bolts a bit at a time to give an even pressure to the packing until it was compressed and gave just enough pressure on the rudder shaft and gland to seal the water out and allow the rudder to rotate without binding.

to be continued.......
Robert

s/y 'Magic' - 1985 Hoyt F32

Robert

Re: Re-Packing the Rudder

Post by Robert »

......... Continuation

Success, no leak under power. Now to finish the job.

Did you notice the lubrication points in the earlier pictures? Well there are FOUR,

Two at the head of the shaft (0ne either side)
Rudder Bearing - Top
Rudder Bearing - Top
Rudder Top Bearing (Small).JPG (41.2 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
Grease Nipples - Top
Grease Nipples - Top
Grease Nipples Top (Small).JPG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
and two either side of the gland
Grease Nipples - Bottom
Grease Nipples - Bottom
Grease Nipples Bottom (Small).JPG (53.9 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
I used a water-proof grease and used enough to force the grease out of the bearings (note the boat was on the hard at this time so seeing the grease exit the bottom of the shaft was easy)

I had now lost most of the play in the rudder that had been noted by the surveyor at purchase.

Initially I was not looking forward to this job as I thought access was going to be through the cockpit locker. But removing the Aft Cabin Bulkhead made a world of difference and I now class this as an easy maintenance item.

Incidentally, the more 'Eagle Eyed' of you would have noticed the plugged holes and the numerous bolts in the lower part of the transom. This is a modification that was made to the boat after initial manufacture, It had a Sugar Scoop added. There is also evidence of a Rudder Repair, probably from a grounding or striking a submerged object.
Robert

s/y 'Magic' - 1985 Hoyt F32

Scott Forgey

Post by Scott Forgey »

Great pictures!

I noticed the same strange river-like sound when all the kids and I were sitting on the back of the boat.

The bilge pump ran and ran.

We had the same thing. When I took it apart there was no packing material left.

I noted that it was somewhat easy to remove the wood and get to the rudder shaft, but some of the bolts were a bit tough to remove. Also, a few of the zirk's (grease fittings were broken off or rusted fully shut.

I pulled them off, fiberlassing in new ones...fun!

It all worked and went back together easy. Now she works well.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Any other fixes or repairs? Pictures?

Scott
Girlfriend F-32 Hoyt
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

Thanks for the walk-thru with pictures, it is helpfull to see that what I expected to find is infact what I will find. This is a job that I have been putting of for awhile on my 39 Express. Access is more of a problem as over the years space has been traded for creature comforts. Generator where batteriess use to be, Auto pilot yoke and ram, refrigeration compressor.......and the largest truth of all, I am getting bigger with time and the space is not. Thanks again for the post. Pete