Taking the engine out

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Alain

Taking the engine out

Post by Alain »

Anyone took out a 4.108 (or any engine weighing more than 500 lbs for that matter) out of the bilge of a sailboat?
I can take apart all the external components (transmission, heat exchanger, etc), but this still leaves me with a heavy piece of ballast to lift out, especially when the hatch is 6-8 feet away from the engine block. I can think of many ways, but why not ask first?
Perkins 4.108 in a F39PH
Perkins 4.108 in a F39PH
2_P.jpg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 8807 times
Alain
Naïade, F39PH '83, Montréal

THATBOATGUY

Re: Taking the engine out

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I have done them way more than I would like! I usually use a ramp and pulleys to get the motor up into the cockpit. From there either ramps or booms (or a crane/forklift), whatever works best in the situation. A 2x12 works well for the ramp. Once you have striped the motor down it's really not that bad. The first 4-108 I ever removed from a boat was an Allied Seawind. I stripped the motor down to the block and then DJ and I carried the block off the boat. But that was like 10 years ago or more... I wouldn't try it today. The good news is that you can really lighten that block up by removing the head and the flywheel. Even with the stamp steel oil pan the motor will scoot along on it without damage so long as you have lightened up the motor as good as you can first. On the cast pan you can scoot the entire motor built up without a problem. Be careful because they skid a lot better than you think they might and they tend to tip forwards. So it's one person driving the winch/come-along/pulleys and one guiding the motor and never ever let a person get under it.

Where are you located? What's the plan? You just freshening up or are you re-powering?

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Alain

Post by Alain »

THATBOATGUY wrote:... I usually use a ramp and pulleys to get the motor up into the cockpit.
TBG, thanks for the encouraging advice.
In the 39PH the off-center, curved staircase from the cockpit is not so great to install a ramp... I'll nee a curved 2x12! ;O)
As far as I can see, the oil pan is a stamped type; I'd strip the engine first. What's the aprox weight of the flywheel, is it simplw to take it out?
I am planning a refresh, the engine runs super, compression, temp OK, no smoke coming out. Averaging 150 hours/season, (it's a sailboat on six months seasons!), I guess the head and pan gaskets have dried up, oil is dripping out from both sides of the engine, down the bilge, quite a mess. I hahe to feed it a quart of oil every 25h of run time. And finally, a sandblast and paint job is highly desirable...
5.jpg
5.jpg (57.12 KiB) Viewed 8788 times
Any recommandation on where to get parts for the 4.108. So far, I got in touch with Foley and TAD.

BTW, I also need to replace the original lead/foam soundproofing material in the engine pit. Given the relatively low freq noise of the diesel, I guess only "massive" soundproofing material would be effective. I'd like to stay away from foam, life cycle is too short (cf. the foam-backed linings on the ceiling).
I'm located in Montréal, an awfully cold place to be these days...
Alain

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Can you take a picture from the companionway looking down at the motor?

The flywheel is easy to take off. It's 5 bolts. The drive plate is held on with 5 cap head machine screws. You find the 5 bolts under that. They are "kept" with a piece of metal that has tabs bent up. You bend the tabs down away from the bolt heads and you can back them out. Use a pry-bar braced in the starter hole and engaged in the ring gear to keep the wheel from turning. I'd estimate 35 pounds on the fly wheel plus or minus. In any event you will want to take that fly wheel off to get to the rear seal. No point in taking everything that far and not doing that rear seal. :) You will need a run out gauge when you reinstall the flywheel to check for true. Too many people skip this and then can't understand why they keep eating drive plates.

Montréal est trop froid pour moi!

George

Alain

Post by Alain »

THATBOATGUY wrote:Can you take a picture from the companionway looking down at the motor?
Hi George,
I'll do that as soon as I find my snowshoes and a shovel...!
Attachments
mtl.jpg
mtl.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
Alain

Lola

Post by Lola »

Looks like a good day in Minn to me...We could not find our car one time...had to use a broom handle....some snow banks go up to power lines....

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I feel a whole lot better about the weather here today! heh heh I got to ride the moto around a little bit and work on the boat without shoveling. Guess I should count my blessings. Woof! Not to get too far off topic but do they celebrate le Réveillon there? I usually prepare onion soup, bread and Coquilles Saint Jacques to carry on a family tradition (used to escargot also but not so much with Kerri).

George

Robert

Post by Robert »

Alain,

Marcus at TAD is about one of the best guys in the business for Perkins marine parts on the east coast. On the other coast there is a company called http://www.britishmarine-usa.com/ that may be able to help.

Don't forget there is also Caterpillar, they now own Perkins, but the prices will make your head spin!!

For non marine Perkins parts you could try through the Perkins NE master ditributor in PA http://www.perkinspowerne.com/ they maybe able to direct you to a company that has the parts you need.

Robert
Robert

s/y 'Magic' - 1985 Hoyt F32

dwight

Post by dwight »

Alain,

For replacing the sound insulation, try Soundown at http://www.soundown.com/AI.htm.

They are located in Salem, Ma just north of Boston and have several products that might serve your needs.
Dwight Escalera
Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS #1024
former engineer at Freedom Yachts
former owner F36-71
Wakefield, RI

larry

Post by larry »

I am going to repower my F-33 which now has a non working Yanmar 3GMD. The yard wants about 4 to 5k to do the work. And that is just removal and installing the new 3YM30.
Getting the old engine lifted out without using a crane is the problem, if I do it myself, since the boat is in the water with the nearest yard a 25 mile tow away.
ANY IDEAS - Can I use my boom with the carbon fiber mast and stainless steel collar.
Maybe beef up the boom with 2by4s and lift the engine out thru the companionway hatch using a comealong? And then slide the engine over to the dock on some boards.
Thanks for any ideas and comments,
Larry, F-33 "AWAY" in the Pacific NorthWest