Fuel Gauge dial assembly.

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
hxschiller

Fuel Gauge dial assembly.

Post by hxschiller »

While I had the fuel tank out (see previous post on that) of my Mull 28, I discovered that the dial on the fuel gauge had broken "ears" making it difficult to secure. In addition, its face was pretty scratched up after 21 years. I looked it up on <www.rochestergauges.com> and discovered that they are still making the "Junior" size of direct-reading gauge assemblies and parts. When I sent them an E-Mail, they responded immediately with the following phone number for ordering parts (800-640-1556). My new dial assembly is now on the way to my home.
BTW, the fuel tank has been successfully cleaned out by me using paper towels followed by hot water and a bit of "Tide", and was successfully welded and has been tested air-tight (slop sink full of water, bicycle pump on the return line fitting with the remaining pipes plugged with rubber stoppers from my local Lowes). As soon as Canada stops sending frigid air to North Carolina, I will clean up the deisel fuel mess under my cabin sole, and reinstall the fuel tank. It's not going to be a fun enterprise.
Herm

THATBOATGUY

Re: Fuel Gauge dial assembly.

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Mine is swiss cheese. Since I have access to a metal break and a tig welder now I'm just going to make ours bigger and better.

Herm, if that's a magnetic coupled gauge I believe they make a sender for that for a remote fuel gauge. Not sure about that model. Also not so sure exactly how much good they are in a seaway anyway but great for knowing what you are leaving and arriving with.

Good job on recovering your tank.

BTW those Canadians might need to be taught a lesson soon, first that cold air and now the kamikaze geese!

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

hxschiller

Re: Fuel Gauge dial assembly.

Post by hxschiller »

Yes, it's a magnetically coupled type fuel gauge, and yes they (Rochester Gauges)do make a remote assembly to place a fuel gauge where it's best for your boat. My tank was nowhere near swiss cheese condition, simply put the seam had a small leak right where the miscellaneous stainless steel fasteners rested. The location, under the quarter berth which doesn't get wet (at least on my boat) probably is responsible for the overall good condition of the tank.
I suspect that more than one kamikaze goose was intercepted by each engine. I base this opinion on my observation that these birds fly in very close formation in order to benefit from "drafting".
BTW, we now have a "Winter Storm Watch" for coastal NC this evening with 3' - 6" of snow forecast. It's a combination of a Northeaster forming in concert with the Canadian cold air (OY!!).