Coolant conditioner

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
mike cunningham

Coolant conditioner

Post by mike cunningham »

Its been way too long since I've flushed the coolant system. So long that I've forgotten what conditioner I used last time I flushed. I could go to the parts store and buy an off the shelf product easily enough but wondering if anyone has a recommendation. I have a 30 equipped with a 2GM20F.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Michel

Re: Coolant conditioner

Post by Michel »

I had a badly crusted up cooling system; the PO's had apparently topped up the engine with Mobile Bay mudwater. I tried automotive cooling cleaner but eventually used the stuff from the DIY shop that is used to cure clogged up sewage pipes. It's a liquid that contains caustic soda. I tried first if it would damage rubber (no) plastic (no) iron (no) and aluminum (yes). I let it circulate for half an hour in the engine under load until it was hot and then let it run out with speed through the largest drain I could find, which is the water side of the oil cooler on my Perkins 4.108. Then I flushed the engine and bilge twice with fresh water. To see if the dirt was gone, I left a third batch of fresh water in the engine for the rest of the season. After 15 hours of running the fresh water was still transparant, so I replaced half of it with anti freeze.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

THATBOATGUY

Re: Coolant conditioner

Post by THATBOATGUY »

For the Yanmar I would use the Yanmar product. I would *not* run with just fresh water only. The antifreeze also lubricates your water pump. I doubt that 15 hours hurt it much though. I use distilled water when I mix my own antifreeze and for topping up the engine to prevent scale.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage