yanmar diesel in a beneteau

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
mnydvr

yanmar diesel in a beneteau

Post by mnydvr »

does anyone know if you need a puller to remove injectors on a 2gm20 motor?

markedwards

Re: yanmar diesel in a beneteau

Post by markedwards »

I don't know the answer but the area Yanmar distributor is Mack Boring and Parts at 508-946-9200. They are very helpful and will easily answer your call.
Mark Edwards, Cape Yachts

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I've never needed one to pull them.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

larry

Post by larry »

Last December, my 1981 3GMD (same engine less one cylinder and raw water cooled) would not keep running, so I had to pull the injectors to check the compression. Had never done any work on the diesel except change the oil and was a bit nervous but I did not have any problems pulling them out.
Had to take the piping apart from the fuel injector pump and the two nuts over the injectors that hold them in,then gently turned and pulled them out. You will need to replace the gaskets (O ring?) before you put them back in. That,I think, in a nut shell are the main things that I recall. Good luck.
PS Oh yes, then you have to bleed the fuel system!! That, of course, would be another post.

mnydvr

Post by mnydvr »

just curious,why was it so hard to bleed the system,from what I have been told it is a fairly simple operation,assemble the system,crack the lines,crank the motor till the fuel comes out and close the lines,starting of course at the fuel pump and working your way to the injectors,as for a "o" ring,there is none,just a plastic washer at the bottom which acts as a seal when you tighten the injector down,does anyone know off hand what the torque is on the hold downs?I really don't feel like going BACK into the book.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I don't recall anyone saying it was hard to bleed a 2gm20. I am curious over your last post though. I don't recall ever seeing any plastic seals for injectors on any of the Yanmar motors I've ever worked on. There has always been a copper washer to act as a compression seal and while it's recommended to replace these each time, it's not strictly necessary to do so. I have frequently inspected them and re-used them.

Bleeding is dead dog simple *but* use the lever on the lift pump or some other device until you have bleed up to the injector pump. Then spin the motor until you have a good stream at each injector before tightening the nuts at the injectors. This saves wear and tear on your starter motor and also protects you from hydro-locking your engine from cooling water backing up in the exhaust system. Shutting the seacock is OK but prolonged cranking with that shut down could damage the water pump impeller.

George

mnydvr

Post by mnydvr »

Okay I see the controversy,I replaced the "WHOLE" injector as a unit,as far as the compression washers you are refering to ,I replace them ,I never reuse them,I figure for the cost of what,$6.00 for a set of 6 I would rather know that there is a zero chance of having a problem,as far as bleeding,there should not REALLY be a problem if I did'nt go past the lift pump,however ,I will as always do the WHOLE system,to be sure it is done all the way through,I do however hate smelling like diesel fuel for a few days,its like the stuff has legs and finds it way to parts of your clothes you never got it on,and shoes may as well get thrown out cus' the wife can smell the stuff when you PULL INTO THE DRIVEWAY!!!!!

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Amen to that! There is a "strip at the door" policy in effect whenever I'm working on open fuel systems... heh heh.

George

larry

Post by larry »

Just a comment about the gasket, "O" ring I mentioned. I was not sure what Yanmar called them. When I removed the injectors they sort of fell apart and I really did not take a good look at them or even replace them after I got the poor compression readings.
Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the clarification.

mnydvr

Post by mnydvr »

yeah,for future reference ,on the bottom of the valve assy. there is a plastic seal that resesmbles a washer,this will either be stuck to the assy. or in the port,they are like $2.00 and MUST be replaced,by my understanding this is what seals the bottom of the injector in the port,make sure they are centered when you put the valve in place,this was a fairly simple clear cut job till it came to bleeding the system,it was a littletough due to the fact that the fuel was like motor oil!,I guess I'll try to finish it when it warms up a little,I did manage to get it up to the injector output line though!!! On a scale of difficulty I would give this about a 4,just read up on it first and don't bring your smelly clothes in the house! momma don't appreciate it!!!! Till next time......I'm out,the head is next!