Prop Pitch Question

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Ereiss

Prop Pitch Question

Post by Ereiss »

Can anyone tell me what the pitch and diameter of the standard prop that was on the F38? I need to adjust my max-prop and this data would help me rather than "let's try a little more and see how it works" approach.

Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

sailmd

Re: Prop Pitch Question

Post by sailmd »

Hi,

You may have gotten your answer long ago, but since I just joined and am in the process of re-pitching my maxprop, I recommend you call PYI (800-523-7558) and speak to Ian. He walked me through it a few days ago.

Cheers,
John

DaysailorJ

Post by DaysailorJ »

I'm not sure if the pitch would be the same as on my 40/40, but it should be, as the wetted surface and displacement is similar. (I didn't like the data I got from PYI, as the real settings should be confirmed with sea trials.) My Max-Prop settings are X=C, and Y=K.

As a side note--When the first prop "expert" down here reinstalled my prop. without a real understanding of these alignment marks, the pitch was so far off that my engine belched black smoke and oil whenever I engaged the prop., leading to my having to pull the boat and remove and reset the prop. I hope you are more successful.

John

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Thank you, I did speak with PYI and we set it back (ie, less bite) by one setting given that I couldn't get the rpms up under load. Will see how it goes on sea trials and if not quite right can readadjust further on next haulout. Hope not soon.

thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

DaysailorJ

Post by DaysailorJ »

Ed,

Just out of curiosity, did your PYI-suggested settings come close to what I gave you from my 40'? (x=c, y=k)

John

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

I will check when I'm on the boat. Wrote it down in the instruction book.

regards,
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Cloud 9

Post by Cloud 9 »

In the interest of assisting Freedom 35 owners I'm posting my 3 blade Max Prop info. PYI and Freedom origionally specified a 16' prop. I purchased a 17' and PYI reccomended a pitch of 11 degrees. Our local boatyard which has done quite a few reccomended 14 degrees of pitch. I started at 14, went to 16 and then to twenty degrees. The twenty was too much pitch and caused overheating. I slipped back to 18 degrees and it's perfect. I still get a max rpm of 3300 and she hums right along at 2800 rpm. I hope this helps save some aggravation.

Gordon

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

I did check my settings, I'm at 18 degrees. Seems to be about fine. For what it's worth.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

DaysailorJ

Re: Prop Pitch Question (off-topic...)

Post by DaysailorJ »

Ed,

Just out of curiosity, where are you in Jamestown? I have been at Conanicut, JBY, and most recently for two years in Dutch Harbor. I was thinking of getting a mooring at DH again next summer when I return from PR, but I heard that things were a little shakey there... Any reports would be appreciated,,,

John
S/V Elizabeth

j