Hoyt 32 jib stay

Hoyt 32 jib stay

Postby JohnReinagel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:04 pm

I have read that the jib stay should be very loose, which mine is. I am running into an issue where when I get the jib onto the camber-spar hooks after much work that I cannot get the bottom hank onto the stay. If I loosen the stay more it really rests on the bow pulpit a lot, and even then I cannot get the bottom hank on without first hoisting the sail most of the way, and even then I can barely get the tack on also. I have thoughts about the sail not being cut properly, no clue who made it, thoughts of the camber-spar being too long etc, or maybe that I'm missing something else. Has anyone else encountered a similar situation? I don't feel it is proper for the stay to be rubbing on the pulpit at all, which really makes the hank and tack impossible to connect.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53
JohnReinagel

Re: Hoyt 32 jib stay

Postby Grimsby_Alan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi John,
My fore stay is attached to the deck and is nowhere near the pulpit.
Hope that helps.
How are you attaching the forward end of the camberspar to the stay??
Grimsby_Alan

Postby JohnReinagel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Hey Alan,

Yes mine is the same, but there are many factors not at all similar to a typical Bermuda rig. As nice as the sail is under sail, it's not overly friendly when it comes time to use it. I have found that as long as I manually raise the camberspar up to it's natural sail-raised resting spot I am able to get the tack and first hank on properly. I would not like to mess with it if the seas were not in a calm state though.

At the bow end of you camberspar should be a sheave that will rest on the stay then a captive device wraps around the stay and the sheave and on mine I have a clevis pin with fender washers which hold the sail, captive device (sorry not certain what to call it) and the sheave together. I have seen detailed drawings in the forum. It is also detailed in the Hoyt 32 manual that is available somewhere here.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53
JohnReinagel

Postby Grimsby_Alan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 am

Hi John,
Would you be able to send a photo of that piece? I'm in the process of re-rigging mine and forgot to take a picture of that part.
Thanks,
Alan
Grimsby_Alan

Postby JohnReinagel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 am

Yes I'll be at the boat later today and will text the pic to you.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53
JohnReinagel

Postby Grimsby_Alan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:32 am

Hi John,

Found this while browsing. Might be helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8583
Grimsby_Alan

Return to Rigging and Sails