Lazy Jacks issue

balger

Lazy Jacks issue

Post by balger »

Hello all. I have owned a Freedom 30 for almost a year now and have a question about using the lazy jacks.

My lazyjacks must be too tight because they are preventing my main from filling properly. They are pushing on the battens which is turning 1/4 of the main inside out. However they support the boom. I figure that the sail will hold the boom up while it is out. If I loosen the lazyjacks then the sail will fill properly. I guess I loosen them with the cleat under the boom. Is there a better way?

If I do this then guess I have to tighten them back up before I bring the main down again. Also what about reefing. If I'm in high winds and want to reef the sail then the boom will fall when I loosen the halyard. Doesn't sound like a good time to be hanging onto the boom trying to tie a knot. Any expertise is appreciated.

Paul Langevin

Re: Lazy Jacks issue

Post by Paul Langevin »

We Have a Freedom 40/40 and here's how we handle the lazy jacks. Our system has a cleat on the underside of the fwd third of the boom. Th lazy jacks are one continuous line which starts at that cleat,runs up to the block on the port lazy jack, down to a stainless eye on the rear third of the boom, thru that eye, back up to the block on the starboard lazy jack and then back down to the original forward cleat on the boom. With the main raised and trimmed in tight (i.e. Close hauled) I adjust the lazy jacks so that they have a little bit of slack, so that there is no tension on them when close hauled. After that it's pretty much leave it alone at that setting. When adjusted this way whenever you drop the main it should fall right into the lazy jacks and the you can snug the main sheet and you are good to go. We never experience interference with the main and the lazy jacks when under sail and if you want to reef the main will neatly fall into the jacks when you ease the main halyard to reef. The boom should remain supported sufficiently so that you don't have any issues with the dodger. Once we set the lazy jacks in the beginning of the season that's pretty much it.
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40

balger

Post by balger »

Thanks Paul. So you adjust the lazy jacks with the contrast under your boom? (I have the same cleat and it's the only way I know to adjust them). Just for clarity, when reefing I normally loosen the main halyard and then tighten my reefing line. If I loosen the main with the lazy jacks loose then I'm afraid the boom will drop right down on to the dodger and cockpit. Maybe it's just that they won't be quite that loose. Sound right?

Paul Langevin

Post by Paul Langevin »

Not sure what a "contrast" is but what I was trying to convey is that with the main raised and the main sheet pulled in tight, I adjust the lazy jacks so that there is just a little slack in them using the cleat on the underside of the forward third of the boom. When you release the main halyard the boom should be sufficiently held up high enough to clear your dodger and the cockpit.
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40

balger

Post by balger »

Thanks Paul. Damned autocorrect got me again. The cleat under the boom, not contrast.

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

The combination of a boom-kicker to hold up the boom, and bungees to pull the lazy jacks forward to the mast when loose, has worked well for me. There is thread "Freedom 25 Update" with photos and discussion of this, and some other things, here:

http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=12069

Also, the Freedom 25 photo on the boomkicker website (http://www.boomkicker.com/images/Freedom25_006.jpg) is from my installation.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

Erik

Post by Erik »

Hi All

I have the lazy jack line set to a fixed length so that when I slip it around the cleat on the bottom of the boom they are snug. On my 33 Cat Ketch I use the stay sail halyard as a main topping lift. When I hoist sail I just let the Jack line fly free. Setting the main this way keeps the Jacks out of the way so they don't snag the battens when hoisting the main. The Mizzen is another story because I don't have a topping lift. The next time I get to the top of the Mizzen I will rig one. Once the Mizzen is up I adjust the Jacks so they don't interfere with sail. When we drop the Mizzen I tighten up on the Jacks. One last thing you need to make sure the topping lift lie is slack so when sailing it doesn't hold the boom up.
Hope this helps a little.

Regards
Erik
33 Cat Ketch