Lazy Jack adjustments

Ereiss

Lazy Jack adjustments

Post by Ereiss »

When I drop the sails on my F38 much of the sail falls off the aft end of the boom. I'm thinking about moving the aft part of lazy jack lines back a couple of feet. Can anyone identify the source of the fixture that is in the groove on the bottom of the boom through which the line runs? I can't figure out what it is called.

Are there any secrets to getting the sails flaked nicely? Mine ends up looking like I don't know what I am doing. With the sail cover on it looks like a boa constrictor ate a pig.

As always, thank you Freedom team.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Michel

Re: Lazy Jack adjustments

Post by Michel »

Ed,

I can't help you with the fixture. If you move the lazyjacks to the end of the boom, keep in mind that raising the sail can become more difficult because battens get stuck behind the lazyjack more easily. So you perhaps want to have adjustable lazyjacks with shock cord to pull them forward when you hoist.

Now on the lowering: I always turn head to wind, that helps a lot. And if I drop the sail too quickly, it gets messy. Also, don't have the lazyjacks tightened too much; the sail should be able to sag over both sides of the boom.

Good luck.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

JimD

Post by JimD »

Ed,

Try rigrite.com they have most of the fittings for the Isomat booms. When we used to lowered our main I flaked it from the boom while my wife slowly lowered it. Last year we added a "Lazy Cradle" now we just drop it and it and it falls into place.

Jim Demerest
F36/38
Lady of Remes

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Has anyone installed the dutchman system? If so, any reactions to report?

thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Michel

Post by Michel »

Ed, there is an other extensive thread here about boom brakes and the dutchman system. http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=10117
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.