Lazy jacks

philipl

Lazy jacks

Post by philipl »

On my first 20 knot 6 foot seas on the nose sail, I blew out one of my lazy jacks. Actually one of the material tabs that connects the lazy jack line to the sail cover tore away. I had a single reef on and it looked like there was quite a strain on these tabs in these sailing conditions (which I didn't notice at the time). I should have gone up top and eased off the lazy jacks. However I was wondering has anyone put in some elastic cord into the lazy jack system or some other form of dampening to ease the stress on these tabs on tha mainsail cover ? I think something simple will do the trick.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

Michel

Re: Lazy jacks

Post by Michel »

Philip,

When you reef, the end of the boom comes down a bit, hence the increased strain on your lazyjacks. A manual adjustment line at the end of the lazyjacks for me works best; I find shockcord is always either to weak or too strong and keeps me adjusting it all the time.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

philipl

Re: Lazy jacks

Post by philipl »

Thank you. I will do that in future. Keep it simple is good motto...
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.