masthead fitting

phildowney

masthead fitting

Post by phildowney »

hi,
kusi is a 1981 freedom 35 uk model with carbon masts made by tpi

has anyone removed the masthead fittings?

my mastheads have been removed at some point and re assembled off centre somehow! ie the tpi logos are not on the centreline as one would expect and the bolt hole in the mast isnt lined up with the hole in the step ive put a mobile phone camera inside and have seen it yet the mastheads are lined up with the centreline

does anyone have a sketch photos or description of what is inside the masthead?
i intend to tie a ladder to the mast and work on it in situ if its just a matter of turning it round one bolt place. if not ....more work

phil
Owner of Kusi, UK F35 Cat ketch
Southampton UK

Michel

Re: masthead fitting

Post by Michel »

Phil,

I've never seen anything other then mastheads epoxied in place. Impossible to move or remove in situ, if you ask me.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Castaway

Re: masthead fitting

Post by Castaway »

We have a TP manufactured CF main mast, and the mast head crane is bolted in place. It sits in a slot cut fore and aft in the masthead, but the halyards are, of course, external, hung from 'U' bolts carrying blocks for halyards and an eye for the topping lift (fixed). There is no swivel on this one. I have had the fitting off, but unfortunately have no pictures. The alloy mizzen has a welded fitting with swivel, which is held above and below the rotating arm, which carries the mizzen halyard, topping lift and running backstay. the staysail halyard is forward and the SSB aerial attached at the side to another 'U' bolt. This is definitely not removable.
The main mast could be reversed 180 degrees by changing the fitting, but not by any other degree.

I can't get any pictures until I commission the boat in May or June, as it is in Sweden.

Regards,
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland