Freedom 21 Spinnaker Sail

boardman74

Freedom 21 Spinnaker Sail

Post by boardman74 »

Well I got the new(to me) Freedom 21 home and all the sails actually look great. Boat has been sitting for 10 plus years and sails are wrinkled, but crisp and no mold or staining. Has 2 lead sails that look to be new, made by Bower Sails. One is the standard battened stay sail and the other is much smaller what would appear to be a storm jib of some sort. Problem I have is I am without a spinnaker or the mount. I have a buddy who is a high end welder and he is telling me no problem making the gun mount and pole and setting it up as it was new. I found all the specs for the mount and the tube so that is covered. Since i have been unable to locate the stuff online to buy. My question is who would you recommend to make the Spinnaker or is there somewhere that has them made and ready to ship? I don't want to spend a bunch as I only paid 1500 for the boat and can't justify putting that much into one sail for it. I also know I really do need that spin or the boat is gonna be a pig down wind. Anywhere to pick up a used sail? Does anyone know of a boat that carries a similar sail that may be more readily available? Thanks for the help. I'm really loving the boat. Less work than I thought and I just love the lines of it. Looks fast sitting on the trailer in the drive way. I am located in Florida.

Teke's Pride

Re: Freedom 21 Spinnaker Sail

Post by Teke's Pride »

Boardman,

Welcome to the wonderfull joy of owning and sailing an F21!

A couple of things...

Saysails/jibs
There are two staysails for the F21 the larger is called the "class jib" and the smaller is called a "blade". However neither of those sails came from Haarstick (http://www.haarsticksailmakers.com the original sailmaker for Freedom) with battens. The F21s are natoriously under powered as a catboat if the winds are under 10 knots (thus the development of the "class jib"). In winds above 10 kts one needs to change to the "blade" to maintain windward performance. Above 15-20 kts the "blade" needs to come down!

Spinnaker
When I bought my boat from her original owner in July of 2008, she came with Main, Class Jib, and 2 Spinnakers. Durring the Great River Race this past October, I ripped one of the spinnakers. The rip was caused when the sail became snagged durring deployment. The rip is vertical; about 14 or 16 inches long; and located in one of the horizantal bands of the sail. The rip can be easily patched with sailtape or professionaly repaired. I have used the sail in 3 Saturday regatas since the incident (been too lazy to swap it out of the launch sleeve for the spare) with no further damage.

As I said, my boat came with 2 spinnakers so make me an offer on this dammaged, yet servicable, sail.

Fair winds!
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke