Freedom 21 mast step and secure.

boardman74

Freedom 21 mast step and secure.

Post by boardman74 »

Alright I am well on the way to getting the new boat ready and with luck will be taking it to the club this weekend to put in the slip. So I understand raising the mast into place and luckily the club has a hoist and crain. Question is this. I drop the mast through and then there is a L shaped bracket on the floor on the starboard rear side(about 4 o'clock position) adjacent to the mast plug. This bracket is loose. But has a fastener holding it down that it can slid on. Should it be bolted down tight or should this be bolted to the mast and then bolted to the floor once it goes in? Or is there just a pin that slides through. There are also 2 large hose clamps laying down there. Also has solid one piece mast plug that does not have the 3 tightening bolts it called for in the original drawings. Also there is no boot over the top of it. Want to make sure it's done right as I only want to do it once and it will be staying up. I know i need the mast boot, but is this plug OK without the bolts?

Teke's Pride

Re: Freedom 21 mast step and secure.

Post by Teke's Pride »

Todd,

Sorry I can't give you specific information on this topic as my F21 is a shoal draft boat with a tabernackle mast. However I think I read a post about this topic at http://www.freedom21.info.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

boardman74

Post by boardman74 »

I looked over there in the yahoo group and couldn't find anything. I think your mast may be the same from the hinge down. The Mast Plug seems to be glued in place. Am I to assume it's in the right place and just leave it be? Just wondering what to do with that L bracket. There is holes in the base of the mast where it goes. Just wondering if it needs to be fastened to the mast with bolts and washers or if a pin just goes threw after the mast is up to stop the mast from turning. I would assume it's not gonna matter either way. I think i am going to bolt it up with lock nuts and just go till it's snug to not put pressure on the mast wall. Then bolt it to the floor and put 2 stainless clamps around it.

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

Todd,

I took the liberty of posting your question at http://www.freedom21.info and this is the answer I got:
RE: [freedom21] Mast Step

I un-stepped and and stepped my mast about two years ago to add a wind direction indicator and mast top lights, so the memory is a bit fogged by now, but:

1) The L bracket needs to be bolted to the mast and then to the hull. I am told that the L bracket can be passed through the deck attached to the mast. We found it was easier to remove it and then attach it to the mast base once the mast had been partially inserted. This requires trust in the hoist and tackle as you will have your arm up in the mast to attach the nut for the bolt that holds the bracket to the mast. (I still have my right arm, but I was worried!)

2) You will need the bolts/washers to hold down the mast plug.

David Garrison
Jellyrum
Annapolis, MD
Hull #234
I hope this helps you.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

David Garrison's reply explains the situation well. I have managed to step the mast without removing the L-shaped bracket, but my main thought was "there must be a better way!". I intend to epoxy a couple of nuts inside the mast, so that I can then bolt the bracket on without needing access to the inside of the mast (I value my arm, too!).

The jubilee clips are to hold the boot in place, so keep them above deck level with w bit of tape. The solid mast partner is originally ast in place, and so is a tight fit (essential); I use a mallet, silicon lubricant and a slim piece of wood to hammer it in and out. A good lexicon of vituperation helps a lot, too.

You can manage without the boot by using silicon sealant around the mast, although you have to peel it off before unstepping the mast. It gives a good seal on my other Freedom, but I usually leave the masts up on that one for years at a time. The F21 spends most of its life on a trailer, so the boot is fine and handy for short periods in the sunny Mediterranean.

Mind your fingers!

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

boardman74

Post by boardman74 »

Well I think I am going to Leave the mast plug alone where it is and assume it to be in the right spot. I am going to silicone around it when in and also put a mast boot on to make sure I don't have any leaks. I think to get the bracket in I will take a scrap piece of wood in and set one side of the mast down on that on top of the plug so I can still get my hand to the other side to get the bolts threw. If I get the mast down and it doesn't seat all the way I will have to try to break the plug loose. Come to think of it I think I will try and break it loose as it's not gonna be much fun trying to pound on it from inside the boat. So then I should just move it up 4-6 inches or so? Then seal and hammer it down once the mast is seated? Then seal the boot down?