freedom 25 rigging question

shaka2

Re: freedom 25 rigging question

Post by shaka2 »

Small axe;
Your right,it doesn't look like there ever was a place for a bracket, which would be fastened after the mast went thru the hull. Does it look like there ever was a place at the mast base for a bracket?

Rick@RISE

Post by Rick@RISE »

Hey.. I have an F21 with the same exact issue.. except I do have the L bracket. I just don't know where it goes! I've looked at the mast where and cannot figure out at all where it was placed.

Also underneath the cabin area, I understand there should be a ring or something that you should bolt/screw into the top of the cabin around the mast? I'm missing those parts.

What I did.. I took a large pvc pipe and split it. Then used them as shims and hammered them in place to wedge it tight(between the mast and the wedge ring) . It may not be the 'proper' thing to do, but it was the only thing I could think of at the moment.

You can find the F25 pdf manual here, 'http://freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10100'
.. under the Manuals and Documentation area..

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

I have posted a picture of my mast base. There does seem to be a hole at the stern end of the base where a rather large bolt could be installed. There is also a matching size end on the heavy gauge green ground wire you can see in the picture. It would be reasonable to assume that an "L" bracket would go there to keep the mast from rotating, but I have been in every corner of the boat cleaning it out, and there is no sign of anything that loos as if it should go there. If anyone out there can post a picture of the fitting, and perhaps some measurements, it would be really helpful to me, as it looks as if I am going to have to make one up to replace the missing one.

Is there supposed to be a matching heavy gauge grounding wire that comes down from the top of the mast? I have downloaded the F25 manual from this site long ago. It is very helpful in some areas and totally lacking in information in others.

I do have a mast collar that looks as if it will fit between the mast and the cabin top. It looks a lot like one of those wax donuts you use to seal the base of a toilet (but a lot harder). The one I have looks as if someone has been "trimming" it with a hatchet!
Attachments
Mast Step 2a.jpg
Mast Step 2a.jpg (125.24 KiB) Viewed 7440 times
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

shaka2

Post by shaka2 »

I would drill a couple of 1/2" holes in the mast, or if that seems too much then use a coulple of ss hose clamps to hold your bracket tight to the mast. Your wooden wedges at the deck will add some anti rotation,.
Joe
(What do you think of the Haarstick spinnaker you purchased?) I went with UK Halsey ($1640.00) . Took for ever to get it to me.

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

The mast bracket on my F25 is about 6” high, 1” flat at the base and 1’ wide. The hole at the base is open at the side.It is about 1/8” thick. I think one can easily fabricate one from a chain plate. My mast is grounded at the base but just through the mast bracket, no separate wire comes down the mast for grounding. I have to remove the bracket to step and unstep the mast.

(ps. My hull # is 210, looks like you are one ahead of me with 209)

Jim D
F25 Mast bracket
F25 Mast bracket
mast bracket_1.jpg (87.35 KiB) Viewed 7407 times

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

When it comes to lightning protection, I think the best way to do this is to run a heavy-guage wire from the mast-head fitting down to the keel bolts. The aluminum alloy mast-head fitting is very conductive, whereas the carbon fiber mast is somewhat conductive. The chance you take by letting the carbon fiber mast pass heavy current is that it will heat enough to be damaged; even cause it to blow up.

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

Thanks for all the replies and taking the time to measure and take pictures. I really do appreciate it!

I can see the holes in my mast where the bracket like yours must have gone. No such bracket to be found in the boat though. As you say; it should be fairly simple and cheap to make one up. There does seem to be a simpler solution shown on page 12 of the F25 manual available on this site. It has a diagram showing a 3/8" bolt being inserted thru a hole drilled into the very base of the mast and then into the aluminum mast step. What is wrong with that idea? One bolt and you are done, and you don't have to remove a bracket to unstep the mast.

I can see the argument for a grounding wire from the top of the mast. It has been added to my winter to-do list.

The boat came with a plastic "donut" for securing the mast at deck level. It isn't big enough to go all the way around though. Does this look normal, or am I missing a piece to the donut (perhaps Davie Jones took a bite sometime in the past)? I was thinking of making up some wooden wedges to fill in the gap.
Attachments
Mast Step 3a.jpg
Mast Step 3a.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 7390 times
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

peaceandfreedom

You are missing a section to the ring. Two years ago when I looked at your boat it was still on board (see picture, recognize the paddle?). You should be able to fill the gap with some wooden wedges. Another project for the coming winter might be making a new ring for your mast. I have seen some pre- made kits to make new collars.
mystic boat.JPG
mystic boat.JPG (82.46 KiB) Viewed 7387 times

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

That was a quick response. It seems like the last owner sort of let things fall to pieces - at least in terms of keeping track of all the little bits-and-pieces you need to make the darn thing work.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but if you looked at the boat two years ago what put you off buying it?
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

peaceandfreedom

As far as I know the last owner only owned your boat for one year. The owner before him is the one that neglected all the rigging. Even though she might not have left Mystic CT since I looked at her, I noticed her registration switch from CT to MA, leading me to believe there was a new owner. When I looked at her she was owned by a college kid that did not sail her. He would keep her in the water without stepping the mast, just for motoring around and hanging out on the waters off Mystic, CT. A few years ago he tried to sell all the rigging because he was not interested in sailing. Luckily his dad talked him out of that idea. The main reason I chose my boat was because she had just been re-powered (only 14 hours on the engine) and I payed basically what it costs to drop in the new engine and she was in sail away condition. I sailed her with my two boys from the tip of Cape Cod to Milford CT in July 2008. But my boat came without a trailer, so I had to shell out some more money to buy one. A big plus for your boat was the galvanized trailer that had seen virtually no use. When I looked at your boat I only got to see the hull. The mast and sails were stored in a different location. The cabin sole was very spongy, leading me to believe the cabin had been very wet. I believe the cabin sole was replaced after I looked at her. I also liked the custom stern rail on your boat. I read you re-powered your boat too. As far as I know the engine was fine two years ago, but that is just based on what the seller told me.

Happy sailing,
I hope you get to enjoy your new boat for many years to come

Jim D.