F30 Cat/Ketch Reefing Diagram Needed

Ereiss

Re: F30 Cat/Ketch Reefing Diagram Needed

Post by Ereiss »

I used 3/8 xle from Cajun ropes. Great rope source.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

1980raven

Post by 1980raven »

I installed single line reefing on SV Raven, F28CK with WB booms per the attached diagram. My sail has a pair SS rings on straps to attach the sail block (you could attach to the boom lash). It works just fine.
Scan0001.pdf
(241.44 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

andygc

Post by andygc »

Thanks for that. I see that you drop the forward end of the boom. That doesn't tie in with the description of reefing in the various documents that I downloaded from the Manuals & Documentation area, or with the diagram in the Freedom 30 owner's guide. That pulls down a fold of sail parallel to the boom, with the reefed fabric being pulled down between the plies. Thanks for comments, everybody, but I shall stay with two-line reefing.
Original reefing setup.pdf
(390.38 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Sold for health reasons :(

1980raven

Post by 1980raven »

I was puzzled by the Freedom drawing (scan 0001). The boom remains at the height and angle you set when sail area at 100% (left diagram). The mast end of the boom does not lower as shown in the right diagram. Good luck with your setup.
Be well.
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

When I had rather old and thus very soft double ply sails on Castaway, no luff downhaul was ever needed; if you de power the sail to be reefed, ease the outhaul (essential) and then the halyard, the sail will just drop. Cleat the halyard, tighten the reef line and then the outhaul, all done. With new – thus stiff – sails using zipped pockets, I have single lines to rings sewn on the luff ahead of the mast, but even then they need only a light pull without winching, if the outhaul is eased.

There's already so much string on a CK that single line reefing will just mean drowning in cockpit spaghetti. It could be done, but it's not worth the effort of pulling through multiple blocks, when two lines are so easy to use. Usually takes two or three minutes to reef single handed, less with help, so long as the lines are marked.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

andygc

Post by andygc »

Gerald
Thank you. I think I'll follow that advice.
Andy

arrancomrades

Post by arrancomrades »

Hello,
I have a very long typescript with diagrams for the F33/35 CK with wrap-around. It will take a wee while to scan but if anyone's interested I'll do it within a day or two. Includes stepping masts and lengths of all ropes.

I have also developed a good way to put a second reef in the backsail, given that the wishbone is not strong enough to take the clew lines and attach a photo of an unusual 1.5 reef in the frontsail which works well on the run and keeps the outer end of the wishbone low. where it doesn't hit the back wishbone on a gybe.

Mike Johnston.
Attachments
1.5 reef in frontsail
1.5 reef in frontsail
ACS0688wee.jpg (85.73 KiB) Viewed 7253 times

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Mike,

That looks like a "scandalous" sort of reef!

Hope you had a good trip Sooth fae Lerwick! We left for Norway a couple of hours after you had gone, but you were out of sight.

Kind regards,

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

andygc

Post by andygc »

Mike, before you start scanning, check this thread uk freedom 35 owners manual. Yours might be a duplicate.