F30 Cat/Ketch Reefing Diagram Needed

freddie wood

F30 Cat/Ketch Reefing Diagram Needed

Post by freddie wood »

Dear all,
I have a Freedom 30 Cat rigged ketch and I'm trying to work out reefing system for the two ply sails.Unfortunately I did not get the reefing diagram with the boat when I bought her some years ago.Could anybody e-mail me a diagram or indicate how it can be arranged.
Regards,
Saorise

phildowney

Re: F30 Cat/Ketch Reefing Diagram Needed

Post by phildowney »

hi , i uploaded the owners manual to the uk 35 ck and the info in that is what your after have a look in the archives.
phil
Owner of Kusi, UK F35 Cat ketch
Southampton UK

andygc

Post by andygc »

Good morning, all.

I now own that boat, and Freddie never did find out how to reef it. I have downloaded the F28/30 CK documents from the library here, and know that he didn't work out how to rig the luff reefing line. But I am curious about references in old magazine articles to Hoyt's "ingenious" single-line reefing system. I know how single-line reefing works on a boat with a boom, but I haven't worked out how it would be done on a boat with a wishbone boom and wrap-around sails. I have searched the forum and haven't found an answer. Does anybody have one?

Andy
Sold for health reasons :(

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

Andy:

I've attached a quick draw of single line reefing on wishbone. Tied from the Padeye a foot or so from the end of the boom, through the reefing grommets on the sails, down to a block on the padeye on the other side of the boom, back to the double block where the outhaul uses one block, then between the sails to a block tied to the boom lash between the sails, down to a block on the deck ring, back to the pillow blocks on the deck and back to the cockpit. Dump the wind, lower the halyard some and pull on the reefing line, then tighten the halyard, and ;put wind back into the sails. When I've got it set up right, I mark the halyard and reefing line with magic marker so I can go there right away the next time. Mine's a 40 so I can't give you lengths.
Carl
Running Free
Attachments
reefing.pdf
(204.55 KiB) Downloaded 466 times

andygc

Post by andygc »

Thank you, Carl, but that only brings down the clew reefing cringles. That arrangement is the one given in the document for the UK built 30 available in the forum's documents section (Nausikaa original rigging schedule - Freedom 30 ck.pdf). There's also the reefing points on the luff, so it's a two-line system. I'm happy to rig it as a two-line system, but I am curious about references to a single-line system.
Sold for health reasons :(

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

While my freedom is a F38 and not wishbone, nor wrap around sails, I thought a diagram of my single line reefing could be helpful. If not, just ignore. The only change I had to do from diagram is at the tack I had to bring the reefing line down to the base of the mast before bringing it up to the tack cringle.
Attachments
jifreef.jpg
jifreef.jpg (33.31 KiB) Viewed 8581 times
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

The block on the boom lash pulls the sail luff and boom down to rest on the forward boom topping lift pulling the luff down as well as the clew. Believe me I've been reefing with this system for 20 years and it works just fine.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Ed, how many feet are your 2 reefing lines (for a 40/40)?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

I know the lower reef line is 80 ft. Can't find how much longer the second reef point is. Originally I had three lower at 65 but found with having to bring the tack line down before it went up I needed the extras 15. I would guess that the upper is about 95 feet.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

anthony

Post by anthony »

Ed
what type of line are you using for the reef ?

thanks