Freedom Mast Wedge Replacement

Mike Holibar

Re: Freedom Mast Wedge Replacement

Post by Mike Holibar »

Hi all,
I had a new wedge cast by Ludowici engineering platics. Polyurethane shore hardness 75 same as the original. This was for the foremast and is working fine. Had a job to get the old one out and ended up drilling and cutting to release it. If I was doing the same job again I would use a hydraulic jack to press the wedge up from underneath, pressing at several points around the mast.
To make the wedge Ludiwici folded some aluminium plate to the profile taken from the old wedge and simply poured the polyurethane into the mold. Cost was about NZD190 as I recall.

Regards,
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

It seems as if the answer to one question just leads to another! If you build a Spartite wedge, and then seal it with silicone to make it watertight, don't you end up with a mast that is "glued in"? I though one of the reasons to use Spartite was that it allowed you to easily remove the mast when necessary (provided you use enough vaseline when you pour the new wedge). My boat gets stored behind the house for the winter, so I need to be able to remove and replace the mast yearly.

Has anyone tried using Spartite in a two step process? I was thinking of cutting 4 partial and half height wedges from my original wedge to hold the mast in position. Then I would follow the Spartite instructions, but only pour about half of the new wedge. Once that had hardened I could then remove the pieces of the old wedge and fill the gap up to the top of the mast collar. This would only work if a second layer of Spartite would adhere to the first hardened layer.

Thank to everyone for all the replies to this posting.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

Michel

Post by Michel »

I put vaseline all over my mast and inside mast partners and cast a PU resin wedge on top of a plywood disk with a hole in it for the mast. The plywood disk was bolted temporarily to the under side of the deck to keep the mast in the center of the hole while the resin cured. The plywood also provided the floor to cast the resin on. I put plasticine clay on the plywood to prevent the resin from leaking away while uncured. The wedges are tight around the mast but can be removed easily because they are not glued to either mast of partners. On top of the mast wedge I cast another layer of PU resin into the deck collar to provide a watertight seal. This PU ring was cast without vaseline on the mast, but with vaseline only in the deck collar. The ring is glued to the mast but not to the collar.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

R. Bush wrote:If you build a Spartite wedge, and then seal it with silicone to make it watertight, don't you end up with a mast that is "glued in"?
It's rather easy to break the silicone seal. Just use a sharp blade to cut it away first. IMHO, water intrusion is far more objectionable than the time spent sealing/unsealing the ring.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Mike Holibar

Post by Mike Holibar »

One of the great attractions of the PU wedge was the "taper lock" effect when the flange is tightened down. This is so effective that it took several tons lifting force and still the mast would not come out and that was with the flange loosened. I kind of like the idea that the mast is that well secured to the boat and I suspect that is the intent of the design. To put a release agent between the wedge and mast or collar will reduce the effectiveness of the clamping arrangement and increase the risk of the mast falling out in a roll over (heaven forbid!). Would you put a lubricant on the mating surfaces of a taper lock coupling on your prop shaft? I could understand wanting a quick release for the mast if you were transiting an area which required frequent removal of the mast, but for ocean sailing I believe dry assembly is preferable.
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand

wingnut

Post by wingnut »

I made a new ring using Spartite but I made a mold of a good ring in clay and poured the Spartite into the mold. I then just had to finish it on a sanding table to smooth it out and make adjustments. It is pricey but durable material.

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

Do you still have the mold? Which Freedom is it for?
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

I was recently shocked to discover that our main mast was loose in the partners. The mastic type seal ring had worked itself up and out on it's own. I slacked the topping lift allowing the main boom to rest on the canopy, then took a line around the mast to the windlass and goosed it forward so that I could tap the mastic back down. Since then it's stayed put, even through 54 knot sustained winds in Marsh Harbor a few days ago.

What the heck happened? Should I drill through the collar and put a few self taping screws into the mastic to keep it in place?

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

cmaxwell
Location: freedom catketch wishbone-centerboard 1981 tollotson & pearson inc.

Post by cmaxwell »

Michel wrote:I put vaseline all over my mast and inside mast partners and cast a PU resin wedge on top of a plywood disk with a hole in it for the mast. The plywood disk was bolted temporarily to the under side of the deck to keep the mast in the center of the hole while the resin cured. The plywood also provided the floor to cast the resin on. I put plasticine clay on the plywood to prevent the resin from leaking away while uncured. The wedges are tight around the mast but can be removed easily because they are not glued to either mast of partners. On top of the mast wedge I cast another layer of PU resin into the deck collar to provide a watertight seal. This PU ring was cast without vaseline on the mast, but with vaseline only in the deck collar. The ring is glued to the mast but not to the collar.
Michel - I have a freedom 28.4 or the british 30 catketch with wishbone booms. A yard in Brunswich Ga demasted her and in the process beat hell out of the original coller/wedge. However it can be pieced back together. The main is in four chunks and mizzen is missing a spot. Question - To save a buck with out compromising a good seat for the wedge, can the original wedges be worked on and repaired with any good success. The pieces are in good condition and fit together fine. Can they be glued back together and used and/or can spartite be used sparingly ?? to repair and renew the original wedges?? Or should I go with PMC - 790 or spartite all new. Thanks CMaxwell

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Just to add a little to the conversation... our main mast had it's mastic "wedge" actually pop up while we were in the Bahamas leaving the mast loose in the partners. I was alarmed but I was able to pull the mast forward with the windlass and simply tap it back down. I figured it lasted for these years so I was good to go until we got home.

I was wrong.

In some of the worst sailing conditions I've ever encountered out in the Gulfstream a few days ago, that thing popped up again. It made a very uncomfortable situation into a somewhat desperate one. Before we go offshore again I have to come up with something to stop that from happening again. It looks like we might run outside from St Augustine to Beaufort SC... ish. Looking for a window in 4 days or so.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage