F32 Jib

casagf66

F32 Jib

Post by casagf66 »

My new F32 looks to have a poorly rigged jib. I've attached some pictures for everyone . I am still not a custom with the self tacking jib and its mechanics so any guidance would be help full. Does anyone know where I can buy parts and or are there scimatics out there showing how this rig should look and function?
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (149.63 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (103.07 KiB) Viewed 7937 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (134.16 KiB) Viewed 7937 times

tnltracy

Re: F32 Jib

Post by tnltracy »

For parts, you should contact Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks in Warren, RI. You need the clip that goes over the wheel at the forestay to replace all of that line tied around the wheel. The wheel should also turn freely and rotate freely in the camber spar.

It looks like a furler of some sort may have been put on, so not sure what the job itself looks like, but should have a pocket that the Camberspar fits in.

Search here for camber spar and you will find some good posts documenting it and maintenance and use.
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

tnltracy wrote:

Search here for camber spar and you will find some good posts documenting it and maintenance and use.
Here's the thread on camber spar: http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8583

Also, it looks like that block attached to the deck was added, on the 84 F32 it sits directly in front of the mast and is a stand up block used to sheet the jib, and you're missing the pin that holds the back piece in place in the camberspar (per the link)
1984 Freedom 32 #28

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Here are the assembly instructions for the Camber spar. Paul Dennis has the stock of triangular pieces at the forestay
Attachments
Camber spar assembly.pdf
(853.94 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

casagf66

Post by casagf66 »

This great! You all hit the nail on the head. Thank you! I will call the boat yard tomorrow and order the parts.

As for the tubs on the stay, are these nesassary for the original set up?

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

The tube at the bottom over the turnbuckle is something a few folks have posted about here. Keeps the Camberspar from hanging too low and weakening the jib stay where some had had failures. I don't have one on mine, but will be looking at it once I'm rigged up this spring. Upper one I have no idea hair its for. How far up does it go?
1984 Freedom 32 #28

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

I have used a cable clamp on the fore stay. I don't like hiding turnbuckles and cotter pins. I like to see them. The cable clamp goes about bow pulpit height and below the camber spar. When the sail comes down, the camber spar rests on the cable clamp. I then unhook the tack of the jib and reattach it to the fore stay above the sail. This give me a nice package as well as room for mooring lines or anchoring.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

msheehan1

Post by msheehan1 »

casagf66 wrote:This great! You all hit the nail on the head. Thank you! I will call the boat yard tomorrow and order the parts.

As for the tubs on the stay, are these nesassary for the original set up?

I called Paul Yesterday and he out of parts. I have lost mine, I did a major cleanup on my boat this year. Paul said he had a call into the supplier but has not head back from them yet. Minimum order is 100 pieces.

I need the triangle piece. I can make due without the pin and and can use a bolt and nut.

Anybody have a spare one they want to sell me?

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

I just had my jib off the other day to replace the sail with an almost new jib. Wow! Thats what white looks like. My original jib was 29 years old!!!

Anyway, i protected that camberspar to forestay fitting as if it were solid gold. I know how easy they are to loose and how hard to replace. I would be willing to buy a couple of them if a larger order was required.

Are these fittings the same size for all camberspar freedoms? Maybe we could organize a custom run and buy them all.. similar to what was done with stickers??

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I'd buy one.

I've never dealt with him (yet), but Paul Dennis appears to be a very important resource for Freedom owners. Although I'm sure we could find a source of the fittings I think we should arrange a group buy through him (or just order enough to justify him buying a supply and storing them) instead of cutting him out of the deal.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA