How do you rig the gun mount pole?

hotstonp

How do you rig the gun mount pole?

Post by hotstonp »

Hi All

Having spent my first season without the Gun Mount Pole on board I am now ready to pop it back on board and give it a go.

My spinnaker pole has blocks mounted within the pole itself, about 6" inside the end of the pole. I presume these are for the clew lines but as I can find no documentation I can't tell.

Also how are the pole control lines rigged? By this I mean the ones that extend or retract the pole. Having used the line length from the manual there does not seem to be enough line to create a 2:1 purchase along the pole from the gun mount T. The online F32 manual is not clear enough for me to see how this is rigged.

The pole itself has a ring on the T-bracket gun mount, a mother loop on the pole itself, and two double blocks inside the pole ends as well as a loop each end for attaching lines/blocks.

I have a UK F33 (that is the F32 Sloop ish but UK built)

Any advice gladly received.
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

Davidu

Re: How do you rig the gun mount pole?

Post by Davidu »

Hello, this doesn't seem to have gotten any traction. I am in the process of rigging my gun mount now and was looking for pictures or advice.

Fortunately for me my boat came with a lot of documentation from the PO and it includes the commissioning instructions and looks to have diagrams showing what goes where.

If you would like I can try to scan that in and take pictures of my progress for you.

If anyone has a hoyt 32 with the spinnaker rigged I would love to see your line and block locations and rigging as well.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

It's been about 9 years since I've used a gunmount - had one on my Mull F30. Not sure if Hoyt and Mull gunmounts are the same. On mine, the poll was centered in the gunmount tube and locked in place (half on either side) with a set screw - with large knurled knob on top. There were essentially 6 lines.
There was a leash from each end of the pole - led back to the cam cleats in the cockpit that allowed me to change the angle of the pole in relation to the boat. When jibing, the chute actually stays full and the boat jibes by rotating the poll.
There was a line (sheet?) attached to each clew that led through the blocks near each end of the pole to blocks attached to the big loop in the center of the
gunmount. From there the sheets led to blocks attached to the aft edge of the stemhead fitting that were then led back to sheet stoppers in cockpit - used to shape the sail.
The last 2 lines were the halyard, and a retrieval line that was attached to a reinforced loop in the center of the chute. The retrieval line was then led through the opening in the bow pulpit, through a block at its base and back through the spinnaker bag (sock) that was clipped along the life line.

To jibe - simply release one leash, pull in on the other and out the wheel over.
To drop the chute - release the halyard and pull on the retrieval line. The retrieval line draws the chute down through the rectangular opening in the top og the bow pulpit and into the storage bag along the lifelines - ready to launch when next needed.

We found it a bit tedious to set up - but a breeze to use once rigged.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

2 corrections:
1. Guess I should have spelled pole "pole" rather than "poll". Looks like the political season is getting to me.
2. The retrieval line does not lead through a block at base of bow pulpit - but directly to storage bag - if through a block, entire chute would need to go through the block.
like i said - it's been about 9 years since I used it. I'm about to install a reacher/crusing chute on flexible furler on my F38.
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Sailmon,

Could you please send info on the type of furler you're using? And how it has been working for you?
Kynntana, Freedom 38

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I just ordered the cruising chute and furler - so no experience as yet. I did want to go with a flexible furler rather than fixed extrison furler becasue I believe the whiploading of the free standing spar will be very hard on the extrusions.

My sailmaker has ordered a Selden top down furler with anti-torque line for me. The furler will use a continuous line drive. We are ordering a somewhat flat-cut 1.5 oz tri-radial crusiing spinnaker. Goal is to be able to sail on run through close reach in winds up to 18 knots. We will be installing in spring and I will be glad to share results.
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

F32Circle

Post by F32Circle »

Bob --
Sorry if I missed it earlier -- could you clarify: are you eliminating your Camberspar jib, or keeping it and adding the chute?
Also, please give us all a report after you've had some experience with the new gear.
F32 Hull #67, Saybook CT.
Yanmar 3GMF, Loose-footed Main, MaxProp, Ronca, Muir windlass,
Heart Interface inverter/charger, SeaFrost

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Hi Davidu

I would love details of how it all gets rigged. I know there are some on the forum site but the lines are not clear enough to distinguish and apart from that I am pretty sure mine has a non standard pole.

Also very interested in hearing how the fuller goes next spring Bob.
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Excellent question. There is a part of me that is hoping to eliminate the camber spar jib. I love having the open foredeck for docking, working my manual S&L anchor windlass and perhaps lashing down a rolled up inflatable. Jury is still out on this question. We currently sail on Lake Erie and connecting bodies. We sail between 40 and 60 days per summer - including a 2 week trip and several long weekends. I currently find myself using the camberspar between 4 and 5 times per summer - mostly for short-tacking up the 4 mile breakwall channel inside the Cleveland (OH) Harbor when the wind is out of the East. The good news is we have about 16 months till we retire, throw off the lines and head south. Our goal is to cruise the East Coast and Carribbean for a couple of years. On the one hand I know I will enjoy the open foredeck and convenience of the furling sail. On the other hand, I don't want to find myself in a position of clawing off a reef or lee shore in a blow.
There is one more unique thing about our plan to install the sail. Because it flies infront of the forestay, and becasaue we don't have a gunmount, we are planning to install an eye in the hole on top of the bow pulpit where the gunmount tube would normally attach, and tack the chute there - above the lifelines. We hope to eliminate chafe while sailing and friction while rolling and unrolling the sail. Will definitely provide updates. Sadly, our next major project is haulout, winterizing and shrinkwrapping - Octiber 15th.
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

VeloFellow

Post by VeloFellow »

Here is a youtube video of a gunmount spinnaker launch. Not my video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1-AsMX8uQ
I have a freedom 28 cat ketch, mizzen staysail, no spinnaker. Hope this helps though.
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop