How do you rig the gun mount pole?

Davidu

Re: How do you rig the gun mount pole?

Post by Davidu »

So its been just over a year and I have done nothing with my spinnaker. Finally getting back interested in her. I had become discouraged last year because I discovered I would have to rework some things on my deck and it wouldn't be a simple project. so it went onto the back burner and is finally back on the menu.

I have the gun-mount installed and am currently using some of the thin flexible kitchen cutting boards to line the inside of the gun-mount. something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HN7ZGUQ/re ... B00CRF2JAK

I intend to replace those cutting boards with UHMW tape I have found on amazon. it will basically be a thin layer uhmw with an adhesive back. like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0191 ... bw_c_x_1_w

next i bought some 3/8" sta set and went to work figuring it all out. Only this time I got an actual experienced sailor and rigger to work it all out with me.

You basically have 4 sets of lines. 8 lines in total/
1. your halyard.
2. your down-haul
3&4, would be port and starboard reins
5&6, would be port and starboard control lines
7&8, would be port and starboard sheets

Now I have her rigged but have yet to fly, waiting on weather. once I have flown her I will work on a better deck layout. but this is what I have now.

1. your halyard is run through the mast and was already run on my boat, should already be there for yours.
2. down-haul is in the spinnaker sock. my spinnaker is in a sock that lays on the deck and has little ties to tie her to the stanchions or tow rail. the down haul is running through this sock to the head of the sail. I will know more when I finally get to run this sucker.

3&4, these lines tie or shackle to each end of the yard. they then run directly to the eyes and cam cleats on each side of the cockpit. yes, they really do just hang out in the open. maybe, it sure looks like that at this point. When the yard is put up they dont really seem to be much in the way. I have used one continuous run of about 80' on this. each end is ties to the yard and its long enough to run through each eye and cam cleat and then still run all the way around the outside of the cockpit. we shall see how this works in practice. I have used an old line for this and will remeasure once I cut fresh line.

5&6, these lines slide the yard in and out of the gun-mount. each line is shackled or tied to each end of the yard. they then run to a block on the gun-mount, then to a block shackled to the anchor roller. from there they go to a set of eyes on the deck, and are routed to the cockpit. I am currently running both of these back to the cockpit along the port side of the boat.

7&8 are lines running from the cockpit, down the deck and to blocks attached to the base of the pulpit. from the base of the pulpit they go out to a block at each end of the yard. through that and attached to the clews on the spinnaker.

Alright folks, this is what the plan is, im heading out next chance I get so if something I have done strikes someone as a terrible Idea i am all ears!

Pictures to follow once I have everything sorted and run correctly

davidu

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

Sounds about right.

I would suggest you tie the bitter end of your retrieval line to a deck pad-eye with a bowline. If it accidentally pulls through the sock as mine, did during a race, one will experience some difficulty in dousing the chute with the line blowing 6 to 10 feet off one's port or starboard bow.
I also recommend using green and red lines for numbers 5-8. I rigged mine so that pulling a red line will extend the yard to port and the green will do the same to starboard (this helps in telling new crew which line to pull). I did the same for the spinnaker outhauls. I grouped the outhauls on the same side of the boat and adjacent to the spinnaker halyard. I routed the yardarm outhauls to the rope clutches on the opposite side of the cockpit (once again to minimize crew confusion).
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Hi all,

I have been reading this post and others about the gun mount system and still have a few questions about the specs for the freedom 21.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions for the pole (or yard) on the freedom 21 gun mount system (length, outer diameter, thickness)? I have found info for some of the larger freedoms, but not for the 21.

Second, i read here (http://www.freedom21.info/f21commission.pdf) that the bitter end of the spinnaker halyard is tied back to the spinnaker (through the sleeve) and is used as the retrieval line. So does the hlayrd simply run through the jammer on the coachroof and then fold back to the spinnaker sleeve, or do you run it through a pad eye or block first?

Thank you and best wishes
Jesse

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

Hi Jesse,

No, the retrieval line is NOT the bitter end of the spinnaker hallyard. It is a smaller diameter line that you will leave attached to the spinnaker. I use 30' of 1/4" nylon braided line.

First find a clean floor or if using the ground insure there is nothing to snag your spinnaker. Lay out your sail and clearly mark each corner (Head, Port tack, & Starboard tack. Secure your retrieval line through the center grommet with a stopper knot. Pull all three corners of the sail together on the knot side of the sail. Lay the sock out and thread the coil of retrieval line through it (and, making sure to keep the head of the sail on the top, the port on the left, and the starboard on the right) pull the sail into the sock fore to aft.

Next move to your boat.
Secure your sock to the pulpit and pull the head and two tacks up through the open triangle of the pulpit and attach the hallyard and outhauls. Secure the aft end of the sock to the port side lifeline stanchion (I prefer to use the padeye on the port end of the traveler rail). Secure the bitter end of the retrieval line to the padeye on the port side of the cockpit gunnal with a boline.

When you are done sailing, unfasten the retrieval line from the padeye, coil it and stuff it into the aft end of the sock. Unfasten the head and clews, and tuck them into the fore end of the sock. Secure the halyard and outhauls to the eye on the center of the gun mount. Unfasten the sock from the pulpit and roll it up towards the aft end. Place rolled sock in the cabin for storage until next time.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke