Recommendation for UK based sailmaker.

hotstonp

Recommendation for UK based sailmaker.

Post by hotstonp »

Hi

I need to replace my spinnaker and wondered if any UK based Freedom owners can recommend a sailmaker. I have a quote from Elvestrom which seems fine but wanted to compare.
My existing kite is the original that came with the boat from new so it is 29 years old. It didn't survive the Round the Island Race a couple if weeks ago. It was fun while it lasted though.
As I have a UK Freedom 33 cat sloop my sail has measured as:
I 9700
J 3200
P 11780
E 4860

And they are proposing a trip-optimal cut in 40g CPN100.

Advice gladly received.

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

Castaway

Re: Recommendation for UK based sailmaker.

Post by Castaway »

Steve Hill, at Solent Sails at Cowes, IoW, made some very good sails for our F35 cat ketch a few years ago (there is some comment about them elsewhere on the Board). Their price was very competitive, too (about half that of Hood in Lymington). I don't know what they are like for spinnakers, but they must do that sort of thing. Contact details below:-

"David Wager, Solent Sail Co.,
The Sail Loft
Shepards Wharf
Cowes, Isle of Wight
PO31 7HT
Tel: 01983 280014
E-mail: solentsails.cowes@btinternet.com"

The only other sail maker I have used in recent years has been Dolphin Sails, who made a good quality sail for a reasonable price, but it didn't exactly match the size and specification I gave them, so didn't sit right with the angle of the wishbone.

Best of luck,

Gerald Freshwater
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

hotstonp

Re: Recommendation for UK based sailmaker.

Post by hotstonp »

Thanks Gerald

I have given them a call - they are apparently a little busy at the moment with the run up to Cowes week but have promised they will come back to me.

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.