Jib sail options for the Freedom 32 (Hoyt)

rbrown739

Jib sail options for the Freedom 32 (Hoyt)

Post by rbrown739 »

I need a replacement jib for my Freedom 32 (Hoyt design). Mine current sail is a Haarstick that was original with the boat. It has short battens, little to no roach, and a pocket for the Bierig Camber Spar. I decided to ask Dave Bierig for a quote but he is retiring but I learned that his design for the jib used full battens and had a significant roach on the leach. It sounds interesting and I wondered if anyone out there has experience with this design and how it compares to what would be a more traditional design (like my Haarstick design)? Any idea why they shifted?
Thanks, Bob CARINA 1986 F32 Ser 125

tnltracy

Re: Jib sail options for the Freedom 32 (Hoyt)

Post by tnltracy »

Hi Bob,

I had talked with Dave in the spring and was considering going back to him to have one made before he retired, I guess I waited too long... He did tell me the design is out there, but different shops make their own adjustments. I found an original from another F32 which has proven serviceable, but I'll be hunting for a new one in the coming year or two I expect.

Anyway, most of the big shops have outsourced overseas now, including Haarstick, but I did get a quote from them last spring as well, which as I recall was about $1500.

I'm going to check with local lofts this year and see what I find, but will likely push to base on the existing Beirig sail to make sure it's as true to the original as possible.

Tom
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

rafontaine1

Post by rafontaine1 »

Steve Thurston at Thurston Quantum Sails in Bristol RI has been making sails for Freedoms for years. I ordered a new mainsail for my F36 for the 2016 season. Next year a new jib. Steve told me he needs the camber spar to correctly make the sail because he has found the curvature varies from spar to spar. Approx price for new jib is about $1600 if I remember correctly.
Rich Fontaine
s/v Liberte
Freedom 36, 1986
Portsmouth, RI

rbrown739

Post by rbrown739 »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to have a picture of your original Beirig jib on your boat? I'd like to get a sense of the differences between it and my original Haarstick jib. Not sure why the jib design changed from a jib with full battens to a more conventional jib. For your information Dave Beirig indicated that he had turned over his jib design to a loft called American Cruising Sails which I believe may be in the same area as his loft. Unfortunately they have been unresponsive to my calls so far.

Bob
CARINA, Freedom 32 #125
South Dartmouth, MA

rbrown739

Post by rbrown739 »

Rich,

Thanks for reminding me about Thurston. I had a companionway dodger made by his brother last year.

Bob Brown
CARINA, Freedom 32 (Hoyt) #125
South Dartmouth, MA

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

rbrown739 wrote:Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to have a picture of your original Beirig jib on your boat? I'd like to get a sense of the differences between it and my original Haarstick jib.

Bob
CARINA, Freedom 32 #125
South Dartmouth, MA
See if this link will work. These pics I took as I was first attaching the jib, so battens and spar not yet mounted. If I can find pix of the jib under sail I'll add to this folder. Note there's one I took as a pano so you'll note it appears a little wierd.

https://db.tt/xrktFnuB

I'm pretty sure Thurston has also now outsourced all sail mfg to same company as Haarstick and West Marine.

Tom
1984 Freedom 32 #28

rbrown739

Post by rbrown739 »

Thanks Tom. I think I see the pockets for the full length battens. Otherwise it seems to look the same as my later Haarstick jib with short battens.

Bob

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Hi Bob,

I found a few pix under sail and just added them to that same folder, so check again and you'll see them. You can see the batten pockets very well, and you'll notice that there actually aren't any battens in them at that point. I picked up batten material not long after from Paul Dennis.

Tom
1984 Freedom 32 #28