Anyone installed winches on cockpit coaming?

gamayun

Anyone installed winches on cockpit coaming?

Post by gamayun »

I am in the process of setting up an asymmetrical spinnaker and I don't know where to run the sheets. I also want to be able to manage the mainsheet from the wheel since I singlehand a lot and don't want to set the AP every time I want to make a small sail adjustment. Both of these options seem to dictate adding winches on the coaming at the aft end of the cockpit. Has anyone done this? Is there something I'm missing that could be done instead?
Kynntana, Freedom 38

sailmon

Re: Anyone installed winches on cockpit coaming?

Post by sailmon »

I just ordered an asymmetrical spi on flexible furler for my F38. I will be attaching cheek blocks to the toe rails amidships or a bit aft, to get the correct sheeting angle for the sail. I also plan to attach ratchet blocks to the toe rail (with snap shackles) a foot or so forward of the stern cleats. I will lead the sheets from those blocks up to one of the existing self-tailing winches on the starboard cabin top. I will be installing another winch (non self-tailing) and a swivel cam cleat on the port cabin top. The active sheet will cut across the leeward coaming and cockpit seat on its run from the toe rail block to the winch - but I believe this will result in minimal interference (and only when the sail is in use) - when compared to the amount of real estate permanently taken up by installing primary winches on the coaming tops.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Yes, this is exactly what I keep coming back to and would actually prefer to do. However, in this setup, it seems you would still need to set the AP and leave the wheel to be able to make adjustments to the spinnaker. It's not unusual around here to go from a nice 15 knots to crazy in no time. I'm sure that's the case in other places, but coming in from offshore and entering San Francisco Bay under the Golden Gate is like flipping the switch in a wind tunnel. Sometimes you don't realize how bad it is until you're on your ear. Being a spinny newbie, I'm trying to think through how to avoid these kinds of wipe outs, at least to the extent that might be possible!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I've heard that about the bay - and single-handing would definitely prove a challenge, whether tweaking or dumping the sheets. You could certainly put spinnaker winches at the aft end of coamings. It would never fly on my boat - as one of the admiral's favorite seats is at the end of the coaming - leaning against the corner of the stern rail. If you do install winches or winches and cleats on the coamings, be sure to core drill oversize holes, fill with thickened resin and redrill for fasteners. I'm 99% sure coaming tops are balsa cored.

Regarding main sheet, I can't think of a good way to run the sheet tail back to a winch, stopper or cleat near the helm. Another possible approach would be to install a heavy duty cam cleat (without a line guide) aft of the main sheet winch. When sailing, don't use the self tailing jaws on the winch - but instead run the sheet from the winch to the cam cleat - and take the tail loosely back to the helm. If you need to dump the main, stand up, grab the sheet and pull sharply upward. It will pop out of the cam cleat and you will be able to ease it (quickly or gradually - as it will still be wrapped around the winch). You can probably even harden sail by pinching up a bit - enough to luff, pull slack through the cam cleat and then fall off to your course.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

sailmon wrote:It would never fly on my boat - as one of the admiral's favorite seats is at the end of the coaming - leaning against the corner of the stern rail.
Sigh...mine, too.

I really appreciate the thoughts though! I like the idea of a cam cleat for the main sheet. I had considered doing this from the beginning and should see how that works before I try to add another big winch on the coaming. Perhaps start with something more simple, and just install two small winches for the spin sheets somewhat forward of the wheel, but still close enough to reach when at the helm. Then will see how that all works before getting into something more complicated.
Kynntana, Freedom 38