F36/38 outhaul and camberspar toping lift

Belanich

F36/38 outhaul and camberspar toping lift

Post by Belanich »

Its warm today so I can't help thinking about boats! Hopefully I will sail Dolcetto for the first time by the end of April! I have a couple of questions about rigging.
The outhaul on Dolcetto (F38) exits the std side of the boom and is fixed to a cleat. There are no internal blocks. This will prevent me from adjusting the foot while sailing. Has anyone installed a winch on the boom (if yes, what size and where?) or blocks in the mast (if yes how much purchase). As for the topping lift, do you remove it or leave it attached? The manual seems to say to leave it attached while sailing.
Thanks!!!

Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto, F38 #65

peaceandfreedom

Re: F36/38 outhaul and camberspar toping lift

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Are you sure there are no blocks in the boom? I have not seen any Freedom booms without a purchase for the outhaul in the boom.

Happy sailing
Jim D

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Michael;

1. I agree with Jim, there is most likely a two part block in the boom for the outhaul. But even with that I find I need to de-wind the sail in order to move the outhaul.

2. Yes, leave the jib topping lift on even while sailing.

Enjoy.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

The blocks are missing - PO must have been the set it and forget it type. Has anyone installed a 6-part purchase inside the boom? Alternatively, has anyone installed a winch on the boom? I have a spare Lewmar 16 from a previous boat that I want to use. I was hoping that rigrite had a winch mount for the isomat boom but its not listed on their website.

Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto, F38 #65

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Michael;

If your boom also contains the butterfly blocks for the reefing system then I would be concerned about putting a a six part system for the outhaul in. With the original two part outhaul block there was, at least on my boat, a tendency for the two systems to bind on each other. In the end, I removed the butterfly blocks and took advantage of the winch for reefing. FWIW
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Ereiss wrote:Michael;

If your boom also contains the butterfly blocks for the reefing system then I would be concerned about putting a a six part system for the outhaul in. With the original two part outhaul block there was, at least on my boat, a tendency for the two systems to bind on each other. In the end, I removed the butterfly blocks and took advantage of the winch for reefing. FWIW
Eric, so do you still have the butterfly blocks for reefing, but direct line with no improved purchase for outhaul? At some point, a PO removed both in my case, so I'm 1:1 in both cases, and have resorted to a fixed setting for the most part on outhaul.
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I've got to re-rig my outhaul as well. PO has the outhaul line turning on a shackle (no block) inside the aft end or the boom and then exiting to a cleat on the underside of the boom up near the mast.

Has anyone installed a block and tackle or even an old Harken Magic box external to the boom near the exit point instead of blocks inside the boom to provide purchase? How much travel allowance is appropriate for the outhaul on a 14-foot boom?

rvivian
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

I do have butterfly blocks but they are not attached to anything! PO left them loose inside the boom when he re-rigged the reefing lined without them. I hate when I see things like this AFTER I buy a boat. Makes me worry about other cut corners that I haven't found yet.

Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto F38 #65

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

On my F33 I removed the reefing blocks from my boom (they don't provide mechanical advantage just are supposed to help bring the sail down evenly which but I found it just added friction). I left the outhaul blocks since I needed the mechanical advantage.

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Alan;

I did the same thing on my F38. The butterfly blocks just seemed to get jammed up, things work much more smoothly without them.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA