Solutions to my rigging problems

Belanich

Solutions to my rigging problems

Post by Belanich »

Over the past couple of weeks I posted problems I was having with rigging on my F38. Here are my solutions.

Camberspar hitting the mast going downwind. Several members responded - some said the forestay is too tight other said it was too loose. The solution was to tighten the forestay. I spoke with Paul Dennis about forestay tension. He said to watch the mast while you tighten the forestay. If the mast starts pulling forward reduce tension until its back to its original rake. Now it no longer hits the mast.

Second problem dealt with the main sail luff. No matter how much tension I put on the main halyard the sail could not be fully raised (this can been seen in the photo). The PO oversized all his lines. The main halyard was 1/2 inch and had a very long eye splice and a ridiculously huge shackle. Seems like the eye splice was getting stuck in the sheave - I don't know how the PO was able to properly trim the sail! I replaced the halyard with 7/16 low stretch VPC with a high tec splice which shortens the eye splice. Problem solved!

Now that I fixed these problems she is a pleasure to sail. I can point about as high as the rest of the fleet while racing and in the last race I beat a Saber 38 and a Oday 35 and was only a few minutes behind a C&C110 (mainly due to tactical errors). The only problem now is that I have nothing for my crew to do.
MG_1386.jpg
MG_1386.jpg (116.61 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto F38 #65

bad

Re: Solutions to my rigging problems

Post by bad »

Hey Michael - thanks for the write-up and the sweet picture of your boat. I was looking at the amount of hoist you have on your main in that foto and I think the main can go up a wee bit more. There are still some scallops in the luff, but also there is plenty of mast left to at the top. It may be that the main is short in the luff or that the boom is lower than normal. If the former, then when ever you get a new main, make sure the sailmaker takes actual measurements on the boat, not the sail.

Erik.

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Hi Erik,
In the text I state that this was one of my problems. As I stated in the post I fixed the problem by changing my main halyard.
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto F38 #65

bad

Post by bad »

My confusion, sorry. I thought the photo was after the fix.Erik